PDA

View Full Version : Trips/ top kicker

skp
08-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Party 15 game.

4 limpers. I complete in the sb with Ac8h. bb raises. Everyone else calls. I too call. 6 way action.

flop: 8s8c9d

UTG bets. When it gets back to me, I raise. When it gets back to the button he 3 bets. I then cap. When the smoke clears, we have 5 guys seeing the turn including me, bb, and the button.

Turn: 6d

I bet. 2 guys fold. one chap in mp calls and button raises. I 3 bet and the other guy folds. Button calls.

Sorry for the confusing action but when all is said and done, what matters is that I am now heads-up with the button and the pot is huge. Button had call-reraised on the flop and had raised but not capped on the turn.

River: 2d

I bet.

andyfox
08-18-2004, 02:28 PM
I do everything the same as you except I fold for the pre-flop BB raise.

Hope there's not there's an unhappy ending (JdTd?) to the story.

Ulysses
08-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Seems pretty ordinary. He raises, you call.

astroglide
08-18-2004, 02:35 PM
i don't get preflop calls like this. if utg raised and 4 people called, would you defend the big blind? i never would, and big blind raisers indicate even more strength than utg ones.

Ulysses
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't get preflop calls like this. if utg raised and 4 people called, would you defend the big blind? i never would, and big blind raisers indicate even more strength than utg ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ your and Andy's pre-flop comment.

skp
08-18-2004, 02:59 PM
I actually posted this with a view to a follow-up post on the greater frequency rate of making errors when multitabling as opposed to playing 1 game live.

In live play, I would not have bet the river as there is too good a chance that the guy has the other 8 given his flop and turn actions. And teh only 8 not accounted for is the 8d. A possible diamond flush got there on the river. If the guy is playing with the 8d, there is too good a chance that he came in suited preflop. Ergo, there is too good a chance that he has a flush and will raise (unless he is terrified that you have a full). If it turns out that I am wrong and he has an offsuit hand, he will bet it for me anyway and I can call which nets me the same. Thus, the better river play is to checkcall.

As it turned out, I bet, got raised by the Td8d and paid off. I attribute that mistake solely to multitabling.

Other errors I made last night when multitabling (and BTW, I only play 3 games: I have no idea how some of you guys manage to play 6,7,8 games simultaneously...amazing):

Posting my bb UTG when I came into a new game (all the boys must have immediately made a note in caps: FISH or perhaps even MORON).

bad eyesight: I had one table in the far left corner of my screen: I saw QdJd when it later turns out that it was QhJd. Of course, 2 diamonds come on the flop and I am in there duking it out. Thankfuly, I managed to catch the error when the turn action broke out and then sheepishly folded (I am not sure why I acted sheepishly given that nobody can goddamn well see me..heh)

In a session sometime ago, I had also accidently pressed the advance fold button on a hand that I had every intention of playing and would have won a nice pot with it.

The other goofy thing about playing online is that I can't remember flops minutes after they happen. Whereas I can recount every minute detail of hands that I have played live for days, weeks, months and sometimes even years.

Mutitabling has its disads. Any tips on how to minimize those disads?

J.R.
08-18-2004, 03:05 PM
bad eyesight: I had one table in the far left corner of my screen: I saw QdJd when it later turns out that it was QhJd.[/

Use the 4 color deck, its not just for old people.

stoxtrader
08-18-2004, 03:09 PM
these mistakes you've outlined sound like they could knock a healthy amount off of your win rate.

1) Use the four color deck!

2) don't use the auto-post button first in. ever. wait for party to prompt you, then after clicking post BB, check auto-post.

3) I 6 table and used to use two monitors. I actually find it easier to keep track of 6 tables on one monitor, go figure. the overlap isnt even that bad, I think I'm on the setting one less than 1920.

4) turn the volume up and use the full amount (or close to it) of time on Flop/turn/river decisions (especially turn and river) these are the decisions that affect your win/rate sooo much more.

meh.

Ulysses
08-18-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
use the full amount (or close to it) of time on Flop/turn/river decisions (especially turn and river)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I hate you.

skp
08-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Incidentally, I too agree with the preflop fold but I don't think it's so obvious a fold given that I was getting 11:1. In a recent thread, I felt that calling with Q8 off in the bb when getting 15:1 on a UTG raise was marginally correct. In my hand, there were also a couple of guys in the pot who were prone to give excessive action ((I do manage to make a few observations even when multitabling...heh). Albeit, my hand is not one that will usually welcome excessive action on the flop. But I also had good relative position to the PFR.

stoxtrader
08-18-2004, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
use the full amount (or close to it) of time on Flop/turn/river decisions (especially turn and river)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you care? just open up another table.

Ulysses
08-18-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I hate you.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you care? just open up another table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I don't want to play 10 crawling games. I like fast games. It's just a matter of personal preference and of course it's your right to take your allotted time. I just enjoy games that move at a quick pace and find it rude when people slow down games. In my personal opinion, if you can't handle the decision-making at multiple tables in a timely fashion, you should play fewer tables unless you want to be rude and inconsiderate to others. Again, this is just a matter of personal opinion. What I consider rude and inconsiderate, you and many others consider normal play. So be it.

Senor Choppy
08-18-2004, 05:05 PM
I think you should worry less about the occasional mistake due to multitabling, and focus on why you are calling legitimate raises with A8o out of position.

And if you aren't using a 1600x1200 monitor already, go out and buy one.

skp
08-18-2004, 05:28 PM
I do have one of those 21" monitors now and it's certainly quite capable of putting up 4 games with no overlap (or 3 games with the lobby which is what I do).

As for A8, I think that folding is the correct play. But I don't consider calling to be a big error for the reasons I gave in my reply to Andy's post.

ike
08-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Blah, you're going to accidentally get involved with the second best hand postflop way too much here. Reverse implied odds or somesuch crap, in any case you're setting yourself up to put a lot of money in and lose.

Lawrence Ng
08-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Heya Sid!!!

How you been? Haven't seen you down at the River Rock yet? Have you been down there. Great 30-60 going on and as much as I like you, I hate it when you are on the same table as me. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

First off, before I comment on the hand, why do you people make insulting comments on issues not at par here. Yes, playing A-8 offsuit in SB when the BB raises is somewhat wrong, but that is not the question here. The error is marginal at best, but what's at focus and more important is the post flop play. Hero got the flop he desired - trips with top kicker. So now that mistake has turned into a very nice hand post flop.

Sid, as usual, I think you play your hands very very well and unfortunately got the shaft end of the stick this time. I would not have changed a thing. I would have bet the river too and called the raise.

Guys, SKP is who I consider the best Vancouver player. He's the only guy I know who gets truly upset when dragging a pot, but believes he played it bad. I give this guy tons of respect and believe me, he's taught me more than a few lessons during my years. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

/suckup off.

See you at the River Rock Sid.

skp
08-18-2004, 07:20 PM
You may well be right but does your analysis change given that most players don't raise - incorrectly IMO - with Ak/Aq out of the bb in a multiway pot. IMO, it's way more dangerous to call a UTG raise with a bad Ace than a raise from the bb in a multiway pot.

I am dead to AA. I am drawing slim against KK/QQ/JJ (but the pot odds warrant the call with A8 assuming that no one else has me dominated which may or may not be the case).

...and we are getting 11:1.

Again, don't get me wrong...I do agree that the call was probably incorrect. But it's not the mother of all errors. I guess that's my only point.

skp
08-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey big guy,

I in fact did check out the Rock last weekend. I played the 50 game for a couple of hours. It had a couple of soft spots. The 30 game was also going but looked to be a tough line-up with Michael, Campbell, football player Bob, JY etc. None of the real crazy players were there that night. I assume that you are gettin' 'em pretty good in the 30 game.

At this point, my live play will be extremely limited. I am having way too much fun online. But I'll pop by now and then just to stay in the loop....I'll see ya there on a weekend night sometime soon.

oh, BTW, I probably was never TOO upset (and only momentarily if that) at winning after playing poorly...heh