PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hands Late Tournament.

jluker7
08-18-2004, 01:03 PM
This is 2nd to Last table, This player has constantly been raising hands such as 55, 98, k7. He raises my BB, first of all do I call here?

Second on the flop do I fold, after he reraises? Should I have even raised in the first place?

Im mostly a limit player, but I like to play a tournament everynow and then. Ended up in 8th in this one. Just a few hard hands I was confused about.

Help please?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1500 (5 handed)

MP (t11648)
Button (t27510)
SB (t14408)
Hero (t25546)
UTG (t21043)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t3000</font>, Hero calls t1500.

Flop: (t6000) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t2100</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t4200</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t11408 (All-In)</font>

-----------------------------

Final Table. Do I call here, Or hope that someone else calls and I move up 1 More place in money? Do I even have a chance of having the best hand? This player hasn't raised in quite a while.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (8 handed)

Button (t9999)
SB (t80601)
BB (t24193)
UTG (t47760)
UTG+1 (t11041)
MP1 (t24344)
MP2 (t6398)
Hero (t5664)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t4000</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t11041 (All-In)</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds

jluker7
08-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Im confused? Any help? Really affecting my day. I want to know if I played it horrible or decent.

No one has any idea? *crys*

steeser
08-18-2004, 02:24 PM
I think given how you played the first hand, it's a fold, and in the second hand you are a coin flip at best. Given where you are at in terms of chips though, you probably have to call. UTG+1 is likely to do this on a wide range of hands, given that he will give away about 3K in blinds in the next 3 hands, so he could have AT, but probably not any worse. Maybe 88 or 99 too.

In the 1st hand, I would have either re-raised a lot, or flat called his min bet to see how he played the turn. A lot of times, if a player is stealing, he will check after the flat call on a board like that. Your min-raise on the flop would have screamed weakness to me, like you were just testing him to see what he would do. I have moved in on raises like this before with a lot of success, without even having the goods.

Roman
08-18-2004, 02:34 PM
hand 1: I guess I close my eyes and call here praying for a low PP.
Hand 2: If you had less chips, pretty easy fold, but I would have to call here.

jluker7
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your min-raise on the flop would have screamed weakness to me, like you were just testing him to see what he would do. I have moved in on raises like this before with a lot of success, without even having the goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats probably why I called. Alot of people would push back at me there.

I thought a minimum raise would be better than betting my stack there because if he did have it, I would be a fool for doing it. And if he doesn't have it he will tell me with a weak bet like "all-in". I didn't think someone would pushin with the aces there. I was thinking about a standard player, I guess. Damn Confusing!

I was just confused at the whole play... Arg.

steeser
08-18-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm not saying you should push, but a larger re-raise or a flat call will get you better information in my honest opinion.

Option 1: Re-raise to 6300 (only 2100 more than original), it just screams at me that you are serious about playing the hand, and if he re-raises, I could fold to it.

Option 2: You flat call. On a board like AAJ, it will take some serious stones for him to bet at it again if he doesn't have a piece of this one (provided the turn is a card lower than a T). If you call, it's going to put serious alarms off in his head that you have the A and are going to let him hang himself. If he leads out again strong at the turn, I could lay it down as well.

But I still believe that the min-raise is a horrible play here, in my mind against a good player it will do nothing.

As an aside, he could very easily push with the A to your raise. He could be on another level of thinking, in that he knows if he pushes, you're going to view it as a steal, so now push with the monster and draw a call from an inferior hand.

hansarnic
08-18-2004, 04:12 PM
First hand call.

This is just as scary as raising to someone without the A and costs a lot less. If he pushes on the turn give it up.

Second hand I wouldn't hesitate. You are getting massive odds here if blinds and UTG pass it and you'll get shown overcards or a lower pair more often than an overpair. Win it and you have playable stack and some chance of a high finish where the real money is.

cferejohn
08-18-2004, 05:22 PM
I think these are both pretty easy folds.

I like the raise on the first one, but when he pushes back, I have to think he has an ace. I'd need to think my opponent was some kind of nutjob to make this call.

On the second one, unless UTG+1 was a maniac, OR UTG was a maniac and UTG+1 has picked up on it and is isolating with marginal hands, pretty easy fold. JJ is rarely any good vs. an UTG raise followed by an UTG+1 all-in. If you are lucky, you are up against AK, and an overpair seems a distinct possibility.

cferejohn
08-18-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Option 2: You flat call. On a board like AAJ, it will take some serious stones for him to bet at it again if he doesn't have a piece of this one (provided the turn is a card lower than a T). If you call, it's going to put serious alarms off in his head that you have the A and are going to let him hang himself. If he leads out again strong at the turn, I could lay it down as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line, especially if the player is good enough to be nervous about the flat call.

cferejohn
08-18-2004, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

On the second one, unless UTG+1 was a maniac, OR UTG was a maniac and UTG+1 has picked up on it and is isolating with marginal hands, pretty easy fold. JJ is rarely any good vs. an UTG raise followed by an UTG+1 all-in. If you are lucky, you are up against AK, and an overpair seems a distinct possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed what a short stack you were, that makes it alot closer. Geez, I just have a hard time imagining that you *aren't* up against an overpair with that action though. If you think UTG+1 is over-aggressive, go ahead and call.

jluker7
08-18-2004, 06:11 PM
In the actual hands, I called on the first one, and lost vs A6. I overthought it in my head I think, I thought ALLin was a weak attempt at a steal after my weak raise. I was trapping myself.

On Hand 2 I ended up calling considering that I was so short that the chance I catch a jack on the flop or they have AK, that it was worth it before blinds get back around to me, and im forced to go in on a much weaker hand. In the actual hand the guy who went all in had KJ suited. After i called another guy moved in, I knew I was beat there. The UTG had AK, and the other person who moved in had AA

So it was like this UTG AK, UTG +1 KJs, ME JJ, CO AA...

I was so dominated it is rediculous. eitherway, I think i should have went with my gut and folded hoping that I might move up in money 1 more place.

But this is the first multi table tournament ive played in months. Been working on my 3/6 game.

Anyways thanks for the responses guys. I had to know if it was a major mistake, or just a tough decision. Now I realize I outplayed myself, and If i hadn't done that I wouldn't have had to make that decision on hand 2.

Anyways thanks for the help guys.

Much appreciated.

Oh btw, the worst hand won = ) KJs floped flush. And ended up making it to third. Either way it was fun, and I guess 8th isn't so bad out of 230. Thanks for the help.