PDA

View Full Version : Omaha Hi/lo

flair1239
08-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Can anyone recommend a good book for omaha hi/lo? I would like to diversify a little bit. As holdem is getting a little mechanical for me.

I understand the basics of Omaha, but I am probably not ready for advanced concepts.

AKQJ10
08-18-2004, 11:55 AM
You'll probably get some better responses in "Other Poker"; there seem to be quite a few Omaholics in there.

Personally i just logged my knowledge of the O8 book market here (http://www.pokertips.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=661). Be advised that Zee is rather more advanced, if i'm not mistaken.

For poker-savvy O8-beginners i think Tenner and Krieger have the best reputation, but i've only browsed that book in a bookstore.

sammy_g
08-18-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For poker-savvy O8-beginners i think Tenner and Krieger have the best reputation, but i've only browsed that book in a bookstore.

[/ QUOTE ]
This book has a lot of good information. Unfortunately, it's not very well organized, and it's confusing if you've never played Omaha/8. I read it before I played my first hand and had trouble following many of the concepts (despite being experienced at other forms of poker). Then, after playing for a few weeks, I went back and read it again. I got much more out of it during the second reading. Still, I recommend you buy this book if you're interested in the game.

There's really no book like Winning Low Limit Hold'em for Omaha/8. Someone needs to write one for beginners telling them basically which starting hands to play and how to play various made hands and draws.

You might want to check out these two web sites:

http://www.winningonlinepoker.com/
http://www.playwinningpoker.com/

You'll also want to pick up Zee's High-Low-Split Poker book if you're serious about the game.

BradleyT
09-19-2004, 06:19 PM
I bought Cappelletti's book called something like "How to win at omaha hi/lo" yesterday. It's been OK so far.

nomdeplume
09-20-2004, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bought Cappelletti's book called something like "How to win at omaha hi/lo" yesterday. It's been OK so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've looked at this book on Amazon and it mentions that it contains Cappelletti's 'point count for omaha high and two card combinations'. Is this a point count for omaha/8 similar to Ed Hutchisons? I've used Eds so far but would be interested in any details you can give me about this. Thanks.

Klaus
09-20-2004, 05:11 AM
I haven't read Tenner & Krieger, but it can't agree about the reputation part. Read Mason's review:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=books&Number=570474&Fo rum=f19&Words=Lou%20Krieger%20omaha&Searchpage=0&L imit=25&Main=570474&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name =3&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&ol dertype=&bodyprev=#Post570474
/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sammy_g
09-20-2004, 11:09 AM
As Mason states in his review, the poker advice is actually not bad.

One thing I always disliked about the Krieger books is that he copies entire chapters verbatim from other books, for instance chapters on discipline and bankroll management. This stuff appeared almost word-for-word in Hold'em Excellence and Poker for Dummies. He just replaced "hold'em" with "Omaha."

Beavis68
09-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Ray Zee's hi/lo split book is good but expensive. Phil's chapter in Play Poker Like the Pro's is also good, and he does an excellent job ni qualifying and explaining low hands.

Championship Omaha is also good.

jedi
09-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Go to the "Other Poker" forum and look for posts by "Buzz." Print them out and staple them together.

If you're a mid-high limit player, Cappeletti's book isn't bad. Some of his advice doesn't make a whole lot of sense against the low-limit calling stations I play with.

Ken Warren's book sucks unless you don't know how to read a board. If you see it while browsing at a bookstore, read the "Ways Omaha is Different from Hold Em" section and that'll be all you need to know from that book.

Tenner/Krieger's book isn't bad, but I haven't gotten through it all yet.

Ray Zee's book is a must to have though.

Nick_Foxx
09-20-2004, 02:35 PM
i think the cappelleti book is ok... the omaha section in zee is good but you won't get a lot out of it until u get a lot of hands under your belt... keep in mind that cappelleti and zee differ somewhat due to the different limits they are discussing... haven't read the krieger

mike

Beavis68
09-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Nick,

I gotta say I disagree, maybe you have an early book without that beginners section? I think I heard that was added later. Anyway I found it to be pretty good, but Phil does a better job explaining low hand qualification.

BradleyT
09-20-2004, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've looked at this book on Amazon and it mentions that it contains Cappelletti's 'point count for omaha high and two card combinations'. Is this a point count for omaha/8 similar to Ed Hutchisons? I've used Eds so far but would be interested in any details you can give me about this. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point system is in chapter 6. I should be getting there tonight or tomorrow night and I'll let you know.

nomdeplume
09-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks Bradley, I'll be interested to hear what this is all about.

Nick_Foxx
09-21-2004, 11:19 AM
ive read the book and i believe what you're talking about is a point count system for high hands only to determine whether or not you should call a raise with a one-way hand... the system gives maximum points to aakk double-suited so i guess it works /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mike