PDA

View Full Version : Impressive Laydown

Toro
08-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Last night on the ESPN broadcast of the WSOP main event Sam Farha made a pretty impressive laydown on the turn. Wish i could remember the hand exactly but I think he had KQs and flopped top pair with a straight flush draw. Juanda flopped the straight and another player caught a piece of it too.

Juanda bet the flop which Farha just called which showed amazing restraint(at least for me). Then when he didn't improve on the turn and Juanda bet again he mucked it.

Pretty impressive laydown, I thought but he was probably playing the player and put Juanda on exactly what he had.

Rushmore
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I thought exactly the same thing.

I also wonder what the size of Juanda'a turn bet was, because he might well have overbet the pot to price Farha out, which would obviously make the laydown easier.

Ghazban
08-18-2004, 11:34 AM
I mentioned this in the other thread but I don't think this is as big a laydown as it would seem. This is day 1 of a huge tournament and Farha is getting bet into by John Juanda when there are still a lot of fish still in the tourney. I think Farha lays down a lot of hands here if only to not tangle with a known good player when there are still plenty of soft spots to pick up chips from. With that board, Farha must know that the strength of his hand lays in making the flush so why get too involved with a drawing hand against a guy like Juanda here on day 1? Later in the tournament, it would be a great laydown but here its just a matter of picking a better spot for his money.

Toro
08-18-2004, 11:51 AM
What you are saying is totally logical and why Farha is a World Class player and I'm a hack. So from my perspective, it was an impressive laydown.

DrSavage
08-18-2004, 11:53 AM
The hand was AKs, QJo and J9o on KQT flop.

Ghazban
08-18-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm not belittling you at all. In a void, its a phenomenal laydown. Mid- to late- stages of a tournament, again its a great read and a great laydown. Day 1 of a big tourney like this, I think a lot of the hardcore pro players are basically just more interested in hitting the soft spots than going up against the premium competition.

HUSKER'66
08-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Sammy came in with a 600t PFR with 100/200 blinds and got called by two (one being Juanda). He showed some surprise when Juanda stayed in to see the flop.

Juanda bet out 1300t into a 1900t pot and got called by Farha and the other player(Smith).

When a blank (3) came on the turn, Juanda bet out 6000t into a pot laying 5800t.

Husker

Sponger15SB
08-18-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What you are saying is totally logical and why Farha is a World Class player and I'm a hack. So from my perspective, it was an impressive laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

World Class player eh!?!?!?!?

KIDDING.... please god nobody respond to this thread!

bwana devil
08-18-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
World Class player eh!?!?!?!?

KIDDING.... please god nobody respond to this thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

now that comment is actually worthy of LMAOing.

SossMan
08-18-2004, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More specifically Farha:A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif,
Unknown (was this Miami John or am I thinking of another hand?) :Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif
Juanda J /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
board K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Sponger15SB
08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
yeah they just showed it again this morning. kinda confused on why the hand % was listed at 0% for the unknown on the turn.

do they not compute that he can get a split pot with all three of them?

or do they only computer outright winning percentages?

PseudoPserious
08-18-2004, 12:26 PM
Those are the outright winning percentages.

For example, AK vs AK vs A7 shows an apparently large advantage for the A7, something like 2% vs 2% vs 27%. What it doesn't tell you is that the other 69% of the time, the two AKs chop up the A7's contribution to the pot.

PP

Ghazban
08-18-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More specifically Farha:A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif,
Unknown (was this Miami John or am I thinking of another hand?) :Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif
board K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be right unless there are 2 K /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the deck...

Sponger15SB
08-18-2004, 12:34 PM
i think it was Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif and K of something else on the flop

ohgeetee
08-18-2004, 12:34 PM
LOL, sponger, you have had me laughing at my desk out loud like 5 times in this forum today.

Army Eye
08-18-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it was Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif and K of something else on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

correct, because I know that Sam had a royal draw, but sadly Juanda had his Jh

SossMan
08-18-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't be right unless there are 2 K /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the deck...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there were 2 K /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the deck. You are dead wrong.