PDA

View Full Version : Super/System2, Doyles room

Rah
08-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I searched old threads, but never got this matter straightened out. First of all, does anybody know if Super/System 1 is worth buying if you're planning on getting Super/System 2?
Secondly, have anyone registered at Doyles pokersite and received any information regarding the book or the offer?

scotnt73
08-18-2004, 11:28 AM
the book is outdated. it is an entertaining read and i think everyone should read it but there are better books if you are wanting to learn something.

CollegePlayer
08-18-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the book is outdated. it is an entertaining read and i think everyone should read it but there are better books if you are wanting to learn something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supersystem is by far the best book out there on NL Hold'em.

kevyk
08-18-2004, 01:12 PM
I went as far as registering at Doyle's room, but still couldn't find out anything. I think you have to put in money and accumulate enough "action points" before you can trade them in for the book.

Either way, the site was so poorly run that I haven't been back. I'll just buy the thing in October.

Mason Malmuth
08-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi CollegePlayer:

I'll think I'll go on record stating this. I don't believe you can be successful playing no limit in today's games in the manner that Doyle describes in Super/System. It will be interesting to compare what the new Super/System II (when it comes out) says to what was written many years ago.

Best wishes,
Mason

ChicagoTroy
08-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Super System 2 is a different book with different authors.

turnipmonster
08-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Mason,
I think the reason so many people like super system's NL section is the situational advice he offers is quite good and still applicable to today's NL games, especially the more basic strategy sections (such as preflop hand selection and avoiding trouble hands).

Certainly his strategy of constantly stealing small pots no longer applies, as opponents these days are smart enough to call the flop just to resteal on the turn. Unfortunately most people that read this section seem to think that this specific strategy is all there is to doyle's style and that "super/system style" is betting every flop no matter what (I am not implying you think this of course).

Anyways, my point is that most of the sections of super system are very valid and most new NL players would do well to read them, particularly the sections on playing big pairs. The chapter as a whole does not function well as an overall strategy, but that should be a given. The fact that doyle doesn't offer an entire strategy shouldn't dissuade thinking readers from gaining a ton of good advice from a player with his kind of experience.

in fact, doyle offers one of the most important pieces of advice I don't think I've seen in any other NL/PL book. he says to be a successful NL player you must demonstrate to your opponents a willingness to gamble. you only have to look to the most successful online NL players to see how true this is.

--turnipmonster

Senor Choppy
08-18-2004, 04:41 PM
People are fond of saying that you should read it because of it's historical signifigance, but to be honest it has almost no value whatsoever today, at least when it comes to holdem.

Depending on your game, I'm sure there are other, better books that people here could recommend.

Zele
08-18-2004, 04:52 PM
That's true. Yardley is arguably more significant, but very few people would be cruel enough to recommend him to anyone who wasn't solely interested in history.

How many card counters have read the original Beat the Dealer (1961, with the ratio count, not the point count)?

buhler26
08-18-2004, 04:53 PM
What is the URL for his website?

Big V
08-19-2004, 06:57 AM
I have been playin NL for about a year, mainly in online tournaments. I did read super system but I felt about the same as most people from this thread did (its got some good points, but not a perfect strategy anymore). My friends are now getting started playing, and I would like to recommend a good NL book for them to read as a good start, and in addition, a good book to further my own knowledge and strategy (specifically NL tournaments). Any suggestions?

Zele
08-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Ciaffone and Reuben.