PDA

View Full Version : Funny quote from Annie Duke

Unvme
08-18-2004, 05:37 AM
"I personally never ask to see someone's hand unless they have shown it to others at the table." Annie Duke

I'm pretty sure thats not what daniel said.

mikech
08-18-2004, 06:16 AM
In the "lmao at Annie Duke" thread I made the point that the poster was just flaming her, but this thread actually has some merit. She says that Jungblut mucking his hand even though the other player asked to see it after a called bet was a "big breech [sic] of etiquette," and apparently made a huge fuss out of it, even calling the floor over for a ruling. In light of that, I have to ask Annie how she would've reacted if someone at her table did what she herself did in the following passage from "Positively 5th Street":

[Noel] Furlong finally pushes his cards a few inches forward, and Duke folds without hesitation. [Tony] Ma says, "Aces," while pushing his cards face-down toward the muck ... Duke reaches out and takes a quick peek underneath. "Just checking," she says.

Wow, I mean, wow. I watch as Ma, Furlong, Alspach, the dealer, and other folks surrounding the table consider this breach of poker etiquette--of much more than etiquette, really. It's an impudent breach of the rules to look at an opponent's mucked cards; to obtain information like that, you need to call him and risk the $2,000.

... Later, when I ask Jack McClelland for an opinion, he says that the dealer should have called a floor supervisor to the table. A warning would have been given; either that or a ten-minute penalty away from the table. "She did that?" he asks. And he laughs.

daryn
08-18-2004, 02:55 PM
any response to this yet? obviously not since i just replied to the thread.

where are you annie?

Annie Duke
08-18-2004, 03:16 PM
In the 2000 WSOP I was playing a single table satellite with Tony Ma, who I was friendly with. We got down to I think 3 ro 4 handed and we were pretty jovial and kidding around. When i turned his cards over it was a joke. Obviously Jim took this in a different way. People have done that to me as well when it is a friendly situation where there is a lot of joking and it is not an important game to the people playing. I am not talking about doing this in a big cah game or a tournament at the WSOP. It was a single table that we were playing for fun.

But, yes it was a breech of etiquette that happened 4 yrs ago. I ahve not done it since--as a joke or not. As I said in a previous post, I try to learn from my mistakes and I realized after that that even when it is just a joke it can be perceived the wrong way.

As for looking at someone's cards, Daniel was talking about showing a player next to you a hand while the hand is in play (obviously not while both of you are in the hand). I used to do this early in my career when I was trying to learn the game. I would show my friends and they would show me while the hand played. I haven't done that probably for over 6 yrs now as I now realize that is annoying to the other players at the table.

I hope that clarifies things for you guys ;-)

toots
08-18-2004, 03:22 PM
I really have to admire your patience and class to respond level-headedly (is that a word?) to all the trolls who seem to have nothing better to do than insult you in public.

Thanks for being here.

ohgeetee
08-18-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree, and you can chalk me up as a person who looks at annie in a different light, particularly after the vibe from the first WSOP main event episodes on ESPN. It certainly looks like now they are intending to make her look somewhat "bitchy" to fit in with their drama craze.

Generally after someone says "you're right, I was wrong for doing that and I have mended my ways" its no longer any "fun" to continue prodding, but some of these guys just never quit.

Annie, you seriously surprised me here, and I'm glad you have given insight on a lot of the things you have said and the ways you have been presented to the public.

drewjustdrew
08-18-2004, 03:47 PM
From an objective viewer standpoint, I don't think she comes across as bitchy on TV. After reading posts here, then watching the telecasts, I can see how people might think that way. They are put off before they even watch.

Sephus
08-18-2004, 03:58 PM
eventually the people who are so bored that they constantly rip on you to pass the time will grow tired of that too. props for not letting them drive you away.

mikech
08-18-2004, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really have to admire your patience and class to respond level-headedly (is that a word?) to all the trolls who seem to have nothing better to do than insult you in public.

Thanks for being here.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I become a troll? As I noted above, I objected to the trolling in the "lmao" thread, but given Annie's outburst at Jungblut's infraction on last night's show, was my question not a fair one? And where in my post did I ever insult Annie?

Annie, I also appreciate and respect your reasonable explanations. Just as you accepted Jungblut's apology after his error, the fact that you can own up to your mistakes certainly makes you a stand-up individual in my view.

P.S. I enjoyed the profile piece on you in the last issue of CCT. I thought it was interesting that in the commencement issue they would profile two professional "gamblers." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nolanfan34
08-18-2004, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How did I become a troll? As I noted above, I objected to the trolling in the "lmao" thread, but given Annie's outburst at Jungblut's infraction on last night's show, was my question not a fair one? And where in my post did I ever insult Annie?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's referring more to the original poster, who has posted a couple of these threads now.

Regarding McManus, after seeing him on ESPN he kind of seems like a nit who wouldn't know when people were joking. Not that it matters really.

All of these threads crack me up. I shudder to imagine what would happen to ConJelCo's servers should Phil Hellmuth ever dare to post here like Annie has.