PDA

View Full Version : Played my first home tounament that I did not host

kona
08-18-2004, 03:55 AM
I have never played any kind of home game or tournament that I did not host until last Saturday night. There is a vast difference between their tournament and mine. Maybe I’m just used to a more prepared and orderly approach. The house rules, games, and blinds were established at the last minute and hand written. There were 3 tables with assigned table captains who were in control. When dealing you could choose Hold’em , Omaha, or 7 card stud (I was invited to a hold’em tourney). Betting limits and blinds were raised every 20 minutes. The final table was no limit and the blinds doubled everytime someone went bust. I worked hard and finished second. Twice I had the chips and the cards but got out drawn. Oh well, I pocketed $250.00 anyway and that is my biggest win so far.

In their defense, I think this was a long-term casual home game with beer drinking Marine buddies that maybe just progressed too fast. I have sent an email to the host with my tournament information along with a few suggestions and why I was suggesting them. I was very diligent in keeping the email on a positive note and made sure I thanked and complemented the host for the game.

I must admit that about half of the participants could have beaten the you know what out of me at a moment’s notice. I haven’t seen so many tattoos anywhere except in the window of a tattoo parlor. This forced me to focus and keep my poker face all night.

Do you every run across home tournaments that are like this?
Do you find that most tournaments are more organized then this one was.
Are there often house rules that don’t necessarily apply at other home tournaments?

ncskiier
08-18-2004, 08:14 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Except my situation is just the opposite. Every game I play, OTHER than mine, is much more organized and structured. But I don't really care. None of them are as regualar as mine.

Mojo Tooth
08-18-2004, 01:02 PM
I've run into similar situations. I consider my home tourney to be reasonably well-organized without being uppity. I have gone to tourneys that were about the same, which I liked, and I've gone to some where people consistently string-bet, didn't protect their cards, folded out of turn, and everybody was there "just to have fun" (despite the fact that there was 30 of their dollars on the line).

Just try to keep in mind that people have different goals when they set out to host a tourney. Some folks, like ourselves, being the types that would consume content at 2+2, are probably much more serious about poker than other folks.

Allow me to draw a comparison between poker and volleyball. I've played in extremely organized volleyball leagues with very strict refs, and I had a blast. I've also played "jungle ball" with relatives in the park where any type of contact, regardless of how illegal, was allowed and in fact encouraged. The point wasn't to compete, but that everybody was together and laughing and having fun. I still had a blast.

That's the way I try to look at it.

gregdillon
08-18-2004, 03:02 PM
I have a question and thought it would be good to add it to this post. I have NEVER played in a home game/tournament before and I reallt want to. I have started looking though some adds on various message and bulliten boards. There are alot in my area. However, I'm a little freaked out about showing up at some random place to play poker. I know there is probobly nothing to worry about but is there anything I should lookout for or be weary of when playing at a home game (or should I just avoid them and stick with the good ole' internet?)

Thanks in advance.

TenPercenter
08-18-2004, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a question and thought it would be good to add it to this post. I have NEVER played in a home game/tournament before and I reallt want to. I have started looking though some adds on various message and bulliten boards. There are alot in my area. However, I'm a little freaked out about showing up at some random place to play poker. I know there is probobly nothing to worry about but is there anything I should lookout for or be weary of when playing at a home game (or should I just avoid them and stick with the good ole' internet?)

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not yet comfortable with going to a game with ALL strangers. I;ve gone to two or three where I;'ve tagged along with a friend who'd played there at least once. And I;ve now run a few of my own, with friends and family attending.

Can you get at least ten people together at your place? Or a friend's? That'd be a great way to start.

Ten

gregdillon
08-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Unfourtunatly NONE of my friends are into poker (no matter how hard I try!). I did join a poker meetup on meetup.com. However, I have not yet been able to attend one.

TenPercenter
08-18-2004, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfourtunatly NONE of my friends are into poker (no matter how hard I try!). I did join a poker meetup on meetup.com. However, I have not yet been able to attend one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That blows. I'm worried about strange games, especially with the talk around here of cheaters caught regularly. And regarding the "strangers" tourney that I DID go to, my friends and I have had some slight suspicions about it. Not so much about cheating, but about the rake that isn't "in the open" like a rumoured $100 given to each table captain (who are all buddies, and manage the pot).

Ten

ddollevoet
08-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Where do you live Greg?

gregdillon
08-18-2004, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you live Greg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cincinnati, OH

Mojo Tooth
08-18-2004, 05:30 PM
I suggest you actually make phone contact with the host of one of the games that you're considering attending. Ask him very simple but polite questions like

- How serious are the players. Indicate that you're trying to find a pretty friendly game at first

- Should you bring anything like snacks or beer?

etc.

You can get a pretty good read on the character of the host, and therefore probably the character of the game, just by listening and communicating. If the host seems like a skeeze, just indicate that you think you're probably not up to the level of competition.

I did this once when I was on a business trip to Austin and found myself in a very pleasant, friendly 3/6 holdem home game that I wouldn't hestitate to attend again if given the opportunity.

LetsRock
08-19-2004, 08:24 PM
IMO. I thinks it's wise that you are concerned about just showing up at someone's home to play cards that you don't know.

I stepped into a new game (now disbanded) several months ago and had no idea what to expect. I carried minimal cash and was prepared to just leave if the game or people were not to my liking.

Everything was fine and I've made several great new poker friends (we've since formed our own game) because of taking that chance.

I would say that if it's a low cost tourney or low stakes game and it's not a lot of effort to check it out, that you should. If the game is too tough, or too stupid or you're just not comfortable then leave.

gregdillon
08-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! After asking around a friend of mine says he works with some people that have a game. I may check that out (how shady can a bunch of accountants be?)....gee after writing that line a bunch of things came to mind. However, non include knives so I think it will be ok /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kona
08-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Entry fee for this tournament was $50.00. For me that is a lot. I am still a converting craps player and am still learning the game. This was a big lesson in learning to focus and make good choices even when you felt intimidated. I won a pot at the final table with no hand just by starring without mercy. I played well all night in a tough environment and was in position for the win. I have to be happy with second place because I know that I was our drawn not out played. But the $500.00 would have fit better in my wallet then the $250.