PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 hand at my local game

lil feller
08-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Before I start I'm going to ask all of you to bear with me on this post. 10-20 game at my local room, full of my local weak passive players. Great game. I get dealt T /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif UTG and limp. Get a couple of other callers and a total of 6 see the flop.

K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB and BB check I bet out. MP1 raises, 1 fold, cutoff and button both call, SB calls, bb mucks and I 3 bet (???). bettor caps and all call.

Turn 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB and I both check flop bettor bets out MP2 calls all in, button calls BB mucks and I call

River 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out flop bettor raises button mucks and i call.

Before I go into the results I have a couple of questions

1. was my preflop decision to play terrible (given the loose passive nature of the game I'm inclinded to say no, but just interested in discussion.

2. was my flop play too aggressive

3. was the turn play too passive

4. was the river bet out of line, or a solid bet for value with what I know is a weaker 2 pair.

Thanks,

lil feller

TStoneMBD
08-18-2004, 02:28 AM
I think limping with this hand is the wrong move UTG even in a very passive game, but this can be debated.

I don't like the 3bet on the flop as you have to put MP on at least top pair as raising your initial bet would knock out other players had he been on a draw. Because of so much action on this flop there is a good chance your flush draws are dead, so I would proceed with caution here and just call. However, 3betting here is standard but I would prefer calling in this situation.

There is no sense in semibluffing the turn here as MP2 is pot committed, not to mention the pot odds so there is no possibility of you taking this pot down and you have hardly any showdown equity. Betting the turn is likely to get raised costing you a second bet and potentionally driving out a call from the button/bb.

I don't like the river bet because MP1 has shown so much strength, a bet only gets raised by a better hand and you have to assume that MP1 will probably follow through the river. Your twopair here is only worth a checkcall.

SGS
08-18-2004, 02:31 AM
I personally would have folded pre-flop. Besides that, it seems like you played the hand fine.

SGS

Richard Berg
08-18-2004, 03:21 AM
I think the preflop limp is ok if this 6-handed unraised pot is typical.

3-bet on the flop is standard; even if MP1 has a big hand, he can't have *all* the big hands/draws simultaneously. In other words, there's enough value left here that there's no need to deviate from SOP.

Check-call the river. You may even get button to put in the "lost" bet when you're ahead (though it does look like he's on the flush draw, so don't count on it when reasoning the correct play).

SpaceAce
08-18-2004, 05:42 AM
If it is common for six people to see the flop with no raise, I think limping with T9s under the gun is fine. If there is considerable risk of a raise or not getting several players to the flop, muck it.

I like the flop three-bet with a pair and a flush draw, not to mention a backdoor straight draw.

I am slightly conflicted about the river bet. I know it isn't very helpful but I have to say it's player-dependent. I think the problem is that KJ is only going to call but K9, K7, 77, 99 and 68 are all going to raise. I think a check-call is more appropriate here. With six people limping in, I am guessing that the hands I mention above are not out of the question.

SpaceAce

Noo Yawk
08-18-2004, 09:00 AM
You played it fine and the pre-flop limp is a no brainer in the game you describe.

OrangeHeat
08-18-2004, 09:49 AM
1.was my preflop decision to play terrible

In the game you describe limping with T9s is fine. If pots are multiway with little raising.

2. was my flop play too aggressive

I like it you have middle pair, flush draw, backdoor str8, and four opponents calling. You will win more than your share of times so a raise is very nice.

3. was the turn play too passive

Not after his cap.

4. was the river bet out of line, or a solid bet for value with what I know is a weaker 2 pair.

I may have checked as MP1 sure looks like he is going to bet and button will probably overcall given the size of the pot.

Orange