PDA

View Full Version : Non-standard $100 SNG situation

ChrisV
08-18-2004, 01:34 AM
$100 SNG on Party, 6 players left (maybe 7 but I think it was 6). Blinds are 50-100 and you're UTG with AQo.

The catch is: The BB has posted up allin for 20 chips. So total blinds are 50+20 = 70 chips and your minimum raise is 200.

What's your play? If you limp or raise, include what you plan to do if it is (re)raised.

Edit: Forgot to mention, your stack is about 900 chips. I can't remember all the opposing stacks but I think everyone has you covered.

Lori
08-18-2004, 01:36 AM
My instinct (Which is basically what you have to play on) is to call here, as you are effectively raising.

I don't like this scenario one bit, but I feel my AQ gains a little power due to the added chance that it will be checked through if someone else calls and I miss (Some people will check through vs an allin.)

I haven't considered this, it's just what I would have done.

Edit: I don't play Party much, I'm assuming a call is 100.
If it is 50, I think I may fold.

Lori

Lori
08-18-2004, 01:39 AM
Okay, my thought about response.

I call, 50 or 100, if I am raised, I ditch unless I can get a cheap flop.

Lori

Jason Strasser
08-18-2004, 01:47 AM
My instinct says to min raise. I do think calling is another good option. The reason I like to raise is because if everyone folds you are essentially on a freeroll. While a min raise in this spot is an overbet--I think your hand has enough value to do so, and you are in a spot where you can easily ditch to a raise.

Calling is good too though.
-Jason

-Jason

Lori
08-18-2004, 01:51 AM
I like the min raise more now I think about it, it does make the fold somewhat easier.

Lori

ChrisV
08-18-2004, 01:56 AM
I'm not sure you can advance this "freeroll" as an argument for raising. I prefer the kind of "freeroll" I get normally when everybody folds - i.e. taking down 150 chips. By comparison if everyone folds here, your expected win is 50 chips.

Lori
08-18-2004, 01:59 AM
You also get to show what many regard as a legitimate hand being played carefully, which you can use to your advantage later on.

Lori

Jason Strasser
08-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Good point.

AQo has enough value to raise. There, is that a better reason? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
-Jason

ChrisV
08-18-2004, 05:03 AM
I folded.

First thing to note is that you are looking at an expectation of winning 50 chips on average, should you get it heads up with the BB. Folding the hand is giving up very little potential equity, compared to folding when the blinds are 150 and the BB is not allin, where your chip win if everyone folds is 150.

If you raise, then if you are reraised you will have to fold. That loses you nearly a quarter of your stack. If you are called, you will be in a dilemma if you don't pair the flop. Imagine the button calls you and the flop is K92, or 975 - there is 450 in the pot and your stack is 700. Any serious size bet pot commits you, but you can't not take a stab at a pot that size, so you will probably end up just moving in.

If you limp, you are begging to be attacked by someone in late position. If you do get raised, you won't know what to do. Folding is safe, but since your EV is 50 chips, by limping and folding to a raise you are saying nobody is going to raise 2 times for every 1 time they do raise. There is a possibility that by limping you will create a multiway pot, which would be quite a good outcome. Limping certainly has the edge over raising.

Look at the above scenarios:

- You raise and are reraised: you lose 200 chips
- You raise and are called: you may lose your stack or be crippled.
- You limp and are raised: you lose 100 chips.
- You limp and are called: possibly a slight advantage to you, although you are out of position. If only the SB calls, that is a win for you.

None of these situations look particularly pleasant to me. So why voluntarily head into them for the sake of trying to win 50 chips? Raising in particular I think is terrible, as the only positive outcome is a win of 50 chips - the other potential outcomes are a loss of 200 chips and a potential loss of your stack.

I'm avoiding this situation.