PDA

View Full Version : KQo against an unknown.

nepenthe
08-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: nepenthe is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO folds, nepenthe calls, BB calls.

The ol' limp-reraise. Too many clowns do it for me to give him credit for an AA just yet.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe caps</font>, MP2 calls.

OK so maybe he does have AA or KK. Hopefully he doesn't have the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Turn: (9.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Should I have checked behind? It's heads-up so I just bet planning to check the river unimproved.

River: (11.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, nepenthe checks.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.16 BB, between nepenthe and MP2.</font>

Garland
08-17-2004, 03:55 PM
I actually think you played it pretty well.

I'd be interested in hearing other comments.

Garland

J.R.
08-17-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm tempted to check the turn to induce a bluff on the river and prevent being check-raised. Free cards aren't too scary, you have Queens up and the only overcard is an A, one of which gives you the nut flush. Your opponent seems aggressive enought to bet the river quite frequently if you check behind on the turn.

The only downside I see is if the turn check makes it less likely your opponent loses multiple bets on the river when the flush card comes or if your opponent has a hand that will call a bet on the turn but won't bluff/mistakenly value bet the river.

If your opponent catches a 2-3 outer on the river you lose less checking the turn than you would betting the turn and then betting/calling on the river and also lose less if opponent has a better hand hoping to check-raise the turn or just call you down.

Its late in the day so I may have to come back to this one but I don't think a turn check is that bad and may be best if your oppoent will frequetly check-raise the turn with better hands and bluff the river when behind.

SomethingClever
08-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I like the turn bet after the flop action... if he's holding AA without the /images/graemlins/heart.gif , he could fold. Which would be wrong on his part, of course, but isn't that what you want?

I'm going to guess he has JJ, with the J of /images/graemlins/heart.gif. After you cap the flop and bet the turn, he thinks you have a made flush.

Close?

PokerNoob
08-17-2004, 04:30 PM
The limp reraise and flop 3-bet sure look like an overpair, particularly AA with the heart. I think he wants to call down, and he may be ahead. Maybe he starts fearing KJ/images/graemlins/heart.gif when you cap the flop or the boat when the turn pairs the board and that's why he doesn't bet, he just wants a cheap showdown. You bet the turn to charge a limpreraising A/images/graemlins/heart.gif or some bizzaro underpair. When he calls the turn, I like checking through the river because you're beat by the usual lrr AA and KK and he's not folding.

nepenthe
08-18-2004, 03:03 AM
Opponent had AA with the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

bisonbison
08-18-2004, 03:56 AM
Nep, people who open-limp in MP with AA are not worth sweating over. I think your play is fine.