PDA

View Full Version : Good fold with a used-to-be-overpair?

balkii
08-17-2004, 03:04 PM
party 5/10

UTG limps, I limp in MP1 with 9d 9s, button limps, sb completes, BB checks.

flop: 5s 2h 3h

BB bets, UTG folds, I raise , folded back to BB who 3-bets. I call.

turn: Kd

BB bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I fold

I don't really like my play onthis one. Cap the flop? Just call down on the turn? Or did I play it fine?

nepenthe
08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
I cap the flop then call down afterwards without a read.

jluker7
08-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Yes, I think its an ok fold if you have a read. Maybe he was either playing AK really strong on the flop and hit it on the turn, Or he had overpair.

Maybe Call down on river.

MoreWineII
08-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Me too.

scotnt73
i would call down for the same price instead of raise-folding

Garland
[ QUOTE ]
BB bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I fold

[/ QUOTE ]

This turn line is horrible. If you were going to raise with the intent of folding to a 3-bet, you might as well call down. My only guess is you're trying to use the K as a scare card to make him fold a better hand. I think you really have to respect the fact that BB is playing an unraised pot with any two cards and you should just raise the flop like you did, but when he 3-bets, just call him down even if a 9 appears because the threat of a made straight by now is so real.

Garland

balkii
08-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Actually, my thinking was more along the lines of - Theres a good chance I'm still ahead after the flop action (vs something like A5, 66, etc), I'll call and raise him on the turn. The K really didnt factor into my play. I went ahead an raised him on the turn, once he 3-bet i realize i have two outs at the most if not drawing dead. So I fold.

But i didnt like it. I think cap the flop and call down is the best.

Cerril
08-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I think I'd have to see the river and his cards here. At least, unless something really scary hit on the river (such as an Ace). Looking back at my hand history it's really scary to see how often in situations with a four card board like this I'm up against a made straight. Of course with your hand you pretty much set yourself up to call it down.

The turn three bet would not scare me out if the flop didn't. He's not changing his act here. I'd say I'm probably beaten but not so certainly I could fold.

Richard Berg
08-17-2004, 06:50 PM
I don't understand the need to see a showdown with unimproved nines. For the $30 it'll cost you to cap/call, you're getting less than 2:1 odds to prove that yes, in fact, the BB can hold any two cards.

A4, 46 = virtually dead
22, 33, 55 = 2 outs
52, 53, 32 = 5 outs, a few more after the K comes
Kx (either LAG overcards, a huge draw like K4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, or something in between) = 1-2 outs

He could be full of crap, but without a read that doesn't seem any more likely than a premium pair/AK he clicked the wrong button for preflop.

I would cap the flop and fold to a turn bet, especially when an A/K/4/heart comes. Even if you get a free card, I think you have to take it (fearing c/r) and fold to a river bet unimproved.

me454555
08-17-2004, 06:59 PM
I think capping the flop makes this hand easier to play. If you can cap the flop and he still bets into you on the turn when a that K shows, you know you're hand is no good. If he just checks it, I bet the turn and check behind on the river unless a 9 hits.

Richard Berg
08-19-2004, 12:11 AM
C'mon. Someone call me weak-tight already.

Richard Berg
08-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Pussies /images/graemlins/tongue.gif