PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Set (Cap all the way???)

sethypooh21
08-17-2004, 02:50 PM
1/2 6 handed. I'm BB. No read on UTG (found at later was INCREDIBLY fishy, but read on)

I have 33 (suit's unimportant). UTG raise, 1 fold, CO calls, Button Calls, SB Calls, I call.

Flop 843 two suit.

SB Check, I Check, UTG Bets, CO folds. Button Raises, SB calls, I reraise, UTG caps, Button Folds, SB calls, I Call.

Turn 7 no flush

SB check, I bet, UTG raise, SB call, I rase, UTG caps, SB calls, I call.

River 10 no flush

SB checks, I Check, UTG bet, SB fold, I raise, UTG reraise, I call.

It turned out he had JJ, and I missed a bet, but my question is, when should I be concerned that my bottom set is beaten and slow down? Or just cap it as long as he is willing and if he has TT, 88 or 77 just eat the loss?

Thanks in advance,
SP

Zele
08-17-2004, 03:01 PM
I'd usually slow down about when you did. I find this question comes mostly down to 'feel', and the tiny reads you may have developed about the individual players involved and the texture of the game. The way you played it is perfectly consistent with the information given, but I wouldn't disagree with a river cap, either.

Benjamin
08-17-2004, 04:51 PM
I like the way you played it fine. Capping the river seems over-aggressive to me in the absence of any reads.

B.

Cerril
08-17-2004, 04:59 PM
At that limit I'm just as afraid of a straight as I am of a better set. I think I'd have slowed down as well. 56, 96, J9 are all junk hands but I've certainly seen them get treated like gold. For some reason there are a surprising number of people who just like to raise UTG with any two cards. Guess it takes the tough decision out.

I have a hard time capping with a lot of hands that can beat me out there. I don't mind sacrificing those two bets wtih two players still seeing all that money on the river.