PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Under the Bed

toby
08-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.
<font color="red"> I was equally divided between check-raising and check-calling here. Button was pretty new to the table so no reads, but with a PF cap should I be afraid of running into trip aces there? Or should I let his reraise convince me? </font>
River: (10.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

sthief09
08-17-2004, 02:02 PM
check-raise the turn, cap the turn, bet the river, call a raise.

this is a serious problem.

razor
08-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Don't be a fraidy-cat! You're the one with the monster!

If you lose... so what?

easypete
08-17-2004, 02:11 PM
not 3-betting flop is ok, if you're going for more money on the turn.

Ace shouldn't scare you. He could have KK, QQ, AJs, AKs???.

c/r the turn. Bet the river.

MoreWineII
08-17-2004, 02:12 PM
I've typed out 15 different responses but they all seem either too unfunny or too harsh.

So let's just leave it at raise/cap the turn. You're giving way too much credit.

arkady
08-17-2004, 02:31 PM
I am harsher than MoreWine, so I am just going to ask you - what the hell is the matter with you?

You are the kind that only raises quads, right?

Here is a tip, if you have a set (especially top set) and you win or lose as much as you won in that hand - consider it a huge/massive/tremendous error in your game. I dont even know what the hell the button had, but my guess would be QQ or KK, man 2/4 is THAT weak tight? yikes...

MoreWineII
08-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Top set on a completely uncoordinated board, no less.

Shutting it down just because an unknown player capped PF and an ace hits the turn reeks of weak-tightedness. Sure, he *might* have AA, but c'mon. Do you think most PP players only cap PF with AA?

You've got a monster hand, make some money off of it.

eecswrx
08-17-2004, 02:53 PM
3-bet the flop (call a cap). you have the best possible hand right now .... ur opponent seems to have higher pocket pairs so he will most likely not release them on the turn or the river and call you all the way. If your trips get beat with A trips on teh turn, oh well ... you can't always be afraid of the nuts. Get your money in as fast as you can when u have a monster like that.

nepenthe
08-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Having checked the turn, checkraise. Call a 3-bet. Check-call the river.

... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif ...

Uh wait.

This is Party 2/4?

Bet and raise at every opportunity. Checkraise the turn and cap the turn. Bet out the river. If raised then, you can think about calling down...nah you know what, 3-bet. Anything but bet/call, check/call, check/check. My eyes hurt.

mikeyKay
08-17-2004, 03:14 PM
what everyone else said...bet this hand a whoooole lot, only stop on the flop if you think it can get more money in on the later rounds, you have a monster that will make you alot of money, bet it.

-mike

CountDuckula
08-17-2004, 03:24 PM
I had a very similar hand at Foxwoods (2/4) a few months ago. I bet and raised my set of Js hard, and wound up heads-up with a guy who turned over a rivered Broadway. I still think I did the right thing, even though it didn't work out for me that time.

-Mike

Garland
08-17-2004, 03:30 PM
toby,

I'd try to get my action in on the flop, I think you should play it fast in hopes he put you on AJ or something because if he has an overpair, he's going to want to push back.

In fact, by the river, you it should be very apparent he has QQ or KK. The A kills your action on the turn, which is even more reason to try to get the action on the flop.

Garland

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Your set of jacks is the monster under the bed. Bet, raise, re-raise, cap.