PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Strategy

kevyk
08-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Hello All,

I have recently been attempting to move up a buy-in level from the $50 SnGs to $100 SnGs. The main difference I have noticed is in the tightness of the players. Where in a $50 SnG, there seem to be only about 4-5 players left when the blinds reach 50-100 or 75-150, at the $100 level, there are often 7 (or even more!).
This ability that $100 players have to survive to the later rounds seems to mainly be a function of tight-passive play, which suggests that well-timed steal attempts will be rewarded. I have run into the following problem, however: when I am running bad or indifferent(let's assume t1500 chips by the 75-150 level), many steal attempts require an all-in to satisfy the twin criteria that the raise should be (a) about 3 time the size of the BB, and (b) if this amount is more than about 1/3 of the stack, you are better off just pushing.
I have no problem taking risks, but I am starting to believe that any strategy that dictates you put your SnG life on the line every time you play a hand cannot be right. This "all-in or fold" strategy robs you of any opportunity to gain information about an opponent's hand, and negates any post-flop advantage you may have had over a player behind you.
I wonder whether min-raising as a rule might be more correct in this situation. A tight player with nothing will usually still fold here, and you should be able to identify those players who will pop you with nothing.
I should note that this post is in response to a bad losing streak where I keep getting bubbled after deciding to make a steal and getting picked off when my weak-tight target wakes up with a hand.

kevyk
08-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Forgot to mention that this scenario would be unfolding on Party, which means that there is no 75-150 level. Assume it's at 50-100 or 100-200.

chill888
08-17-2004, 03:11 PM
You are right --with 1500 left and 50 / 100 blinds - you don't want to be putting your chips at risk with nothing. Depends on position/opponents but it is too early IMHO to be stealing cause you think you need to.

Small raises can work in a tight $100 game, especially if you have been tight (good image) and you are not on the button. Often in 5 or 6 handed a minimum raise will suffice as everyone tries to survive bubble or if you are UTG and they fear a big hand. this works less well in lower limits IMO.

The challenge (requiring courage) is what to do if you get called by one other and miss the flop......

But that is another thread.

GL

TheDrone
08-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Disclaimer: Since I don't play at the $50 or $100 level, my comments are just my opinion and take what you will from them. Or don't. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

When the blinds are 50-100 and higher, I find that a 3BB raise is overkill. I don't like min raising either, because I think there's somewhat of a psychological barrier with the min raise. The blinds are more apt to fold if you raise just a little more (e.g. 225 on 50-100 blinds). Much also depends on my assessment of the players remaining to act, especially the BB.

It's beneficial to remain patient (wait for a good raising hand) when you have between 10BB and 15BB since one or two missed steal attempts leave you shortstacked. I don't steal every orbit because I feel like I have to - I only steal when the conditions are right. In other words, it's folded to me in LP or there is just one limper who doesn't usually open limp (I usually take that as a sign of weakness), and I read the BB as being tight. Overall this means that I don't steal often, but then I can exploit my tighter image when the conditions are right.

Footnote: sometimes the conditions are never right, and then it's back to all-in/fold mode when I get shortstacked.

chill888
08-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Agree, I often use slightly higher than min raise. eg 225 at a 50/100 level. No data, but i feel like it vthrows people off just a little ... although others may see it as fishy.

Still it's small enough that it's easy to fold to a reraise if necessary.

mikey checks
08-18-2004, 12:33 AM
agreed. i love the slightly > 2xBB raise. it throws in a nice touch to "i'm raising this, but i want a call"