PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch from NL to limit...what stakes should I start at?

heatscan
08-17-2004, 12:59 PM
I bought in for $100 several months ago and worked it up to $1,200 playing the NL25, NL50, and NL100 tables on Party. Right now I play one $NL100 6-handed table. I've always toyed with the idea of moving to multitabling limit, since I have a relatively straight-forward ABC style of playing and also want something that doesn't require as much intense concentration and observation as a high stakes 6-handed game. I picked up a copy of SSHE and am pretty comfortable with it, though obviously there's a difference between understand and applying the ideas. I haven't played limit since the first few weeks of my career when I played .50/1.

My main question is this: at what stakes should I start playing limit? I know that one should be able to beat a lower limit before moving up, but I don't want to sit through 10,000 hands of .50/1. But I also I don't want to jump in at 3/6 and pay for expensive lessons. Is there a significant difference in skill level between .50/1 and 1/2? Between 1/2 and 2/4? How much will my NL experience be applicable? Will having read SSHE give me a big leg up?

Any comments would be appreciated.

umdpoker
08-17-2004, 01:50 PM
i am also changing from nl to limit. i only played nl for 2 months, so my limit play isn't super-rusty. however, there are major differences between limit and nl. if you already read ed's book, then i am not going to bother pointing out the differences. however, i will say that you should start out at 1/2. you should be able to at least break even there just by playing tight preflop. the great thing about limit is that you get to bet more often. there are a lot of situations in nl where value betting the river is suicide. in limit, that is rarely the case. good luck.