PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when it's time to move up?

bweiser8311962
08-17-2004, 05:56 AM
OK, I am doing better than average at a very, very cheap limit table and am thinking of moving up a level or two ... I am not "crushing" like I would like to be and I think I could play better ... But I think my style would lead to the same percentage of money won, leading to more money won overall.

I have no problem staying where I'm at until I dominate ... but what is domination when you are playing nickle/dime ... turning a profit every session? doubling my money every session?

thanks for your help. love this site.

housenuts
08-17-2004, 09:20 AM
i'm in the same boat. i'm confident with my skills but i'm not going to move up until my bankroll is sufficient

Nottom
08-17-2004, 09:33 AM
2-3 BB/hour should be approaching "crushing" the game, even of it s only $.30

Noo Yawk
08-17-2004, 09:36 AM
If you are comftorable that you could move up without it creating any financial issues, then you should try to ASAP.
As you learn the skills needed its imperitive that you try them in actual play to know whether or not you truly understand what you are learning.

swede0530
08-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Sounds like me. The next step dictates a bankroll of $200 to $300. I can wait and I believe the experience can only help.
However, unless I win a free roll or small buy-in NLHE, I'll be forced to make a deposit. It could take me a year or more to get to the proper bankroll without that.

(or a looooong string of +25 BB sessions)

bweiser8311962
08-17-2004, 04:05 PM
so if i'm making about 50 cents an hour at this game, that's good i guess.

do you think it matters how you are winning?

Ray Of Light
08-17-2004, 08:18 PM
I don't think it is any one thing that you should be looking at... I think it is a combination of your hourly rate, your bankroll size and your confidence... when you have all of those in your favour then you should take shots at bigger games...

for example, someone who is crushing a game for 2 BB an hour, feels confident and has maybe a 150BB bankroll to take to the next level should move up, moreso than someone who might have a 500BB roll, but is grinding out 1BB an hour and feels a little shaky in their game...

... look at the bigger picture of your overall game and come to a decision that is right for you...