PDA

View Full Version : 88 I suck again

Peace Frog
08-16-2004, 11:41 PM
Sorry for the barrage of hands guys, but I literally forgot how to play poker.

I open raise from late middle with 88. I get a cold call by the guy to my immediate left. Heads-up.

The flop comes Q63r. I bet, he calls. The turn is 2. What's my play? I checked, he bet, and I called. The river paired the 3. I checked, he bet. What's my play? I called and of course lost to QJo.

I can't stop myself from playing bad!!! You see I used to know how to play poker before this online came along. Now I never know what to do with my hand. In alive game I bet that 88, and if I get raised I'll know the player enough to know what to do. I never know what to do online. If I check it, I feel a worse hand will surely bet. They always do bet if I check and I never know what that bet means. All I know is that it usually means if I fold, then they were betting a worse hand. If I call them down, then of course they outflopped me. The problem is they out flop me alot and now I'm a payoff artist just like any other fish. I'm not really. I can fold. I just never know what to do against these online players. I'm starting to believe they are world class. One thing's for sure. They are far too good for me. I just wish I could remember how to play poker again. I'm playing tomorrow at the Mirage. I'm a scared I won't know what to do with my hands just like online.... This could be the end of a what was a 15 year poker career. I'm hopelessly lost now. I forgot how to win. I'll check back tomorrw and see if anyone responded might be able to help me. After that, I'll be throwing out my computer tomorrow. No more online. Maybe I'll remember how to play and can save myself.

bazooka_joe
08-16-2004, 11:46 PM
You must continue to be aggressive on turn.
Bet the turn.
Must bet turn.

Peace Frog
08-17-2004, 12:07 AM
Does it really matter who puts the bet in? He'll bet almost 100% anyway.

Ok, so I bet the turn. he calls. Now what? I assume you're saying fold to a raise, right?

Tell me how to play the HAND!! That's what I'm looking for.

DeeJ
08-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Mid pairs suck. Reluctantly you have to put them down most of the time if you miss and someone shows strength.

There is no way to know whether you're beat /images/graemlins/grin.gif which is the whole game. I gritted my teeth yesterday with exactly 88 and got turn raised with an Axxx board, called down and my 88 beat a 77 who was trying to push me out representing an Ace. Mostly I would throw but all options are arguable in your case headsup (fold, bet, check-raise). Check raise gets you most information but costs the most. Betting to represent a Q or high pair or AK will push inferior hands away but not a Q. Playing the way you did at the turn I would check-fold the river. Check raise is best on the flop to see if he has the Q.

Noo Yawk
08-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi Peacefrog,

You need to bet the turn. You probabably wont get a Q to fold, but you may get someone off of 9's-J's Or overcards to fold. Against many opponents I would even bet the river for value.