PDA

View Full Version : 99, Turn play?

Brian
08-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Party 5/10, 8-handed. No reads. I'm dealt 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the Button. EP poster checks, MP and CO limp, I raise. SB folds, BB calls, EP poster fold, rest call. 4 to the Flop, 4.5bb.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB leads, MP raises, CO folds, I 3-bet. BB folds and MP calls.

Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

MP checks. Hero? Results later.

-Brian

TripleH68
08-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Bet. He did not raise pre-flop. A8 suited? Worst-case scenario is a set.

pokerkai
08-16-2004, 11:19 PM
I bet out on the turn.
My guess is hes raising the flop with an 8 or if hes really loose, a straight draw.

gamblore99
08-16-2004, 11:46 PM
Bet this. it is very very doubtful the king helped him. assuming hes a decent player, what would he call the preflop raise with, and raise the flop with? a pocket pair, maybe a suited ace like a8 or a4. after you 3-bet and he slows down it looks like your definitely ahead.

Brian
08-17-2004, 12:09 AM
I asked myself the following questions:

1) What range of hands is an unknown going to raise on the Flop into the pre-Flop raiser?
2) How big of a disaster is giving my opponent a free card if I am in fact in the lead?
3) What am I going to do if I get check-raised on the Turn?

There are no likley draws on this Flop, so I put my opponent on either an 8 with a decent kicker or a set. Since I am heads-up, giving my lone opponent who has shown quite a bit of strength on the Flop a free card is not a disaster. Occasionally, he'll have a hand like A8, and he'll improve to beat me on the River; but, he would've called anyways, so I have only cost myself 1 bet, not the whole pot. Finally, I was not comfortable with folding to a check-raise, so I decided to check. If I were comfortable folding to a check-raise, then I think betting is the correct play.

The River was another King, he checked, I bet, he called, and he showed 86o.

-Brian

Saborion
08-17-2004, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
after you 3-bet and he slows down it looks like your definitely ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
Or maybe he's trapping Hero with a check-raise on the turn?

Saborion
08-17-2004, 12:24 AM
I'd bet.
How often would someone play a flopped set that fast on the flop? Like, never. Worst case is him having two pair, but I still believe he has 8x way more often than that. Pot contains 8 BB, time to take it down.

SGS
08-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Bet. Your hand is still probably best, but very vulnerable. You cannot be scared of overcards coming all the time. You need to bet to protect your good but vulnerable hand.

SGS

Andy B
08-17-2004, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How often would someone play a flopped set that fast on the flop? Like, never.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of thinking is precisely why I play my sets fast on the flop. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Yeah, bet this turn.

Nate tha' Great
08-17-2004, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) What range of hands is an unknown going to raise on the Flop into the pre-Flop raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a set.

[ QUOTE ]
2) How big of a disaster is giving my opponent a free card if I am in fact in the lead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that he has a 5-out draw to trips or two pair, 5/46 of 9 BB (you need to call a river bet no matter what) or about one big bet. You're really almost indifferent as to whether he calls or folds but giving him a free card is silly.

[ QUOTE ]
3) What am I going to do if I get check-raised on the Turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold.

Brian
08-17-2004, 02:25 AM
It seems I am the only one in the "checking is O.K. since you're heads-up and your opponent showed a lot of strength on the Flop" camp. For sure, my default play in these situations is to bet and not think twice about it. But, I stopped to think about it, and then made one of the biggest mistakes made on these forums: I gave my unthinking typical Party opponent too much credit. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Brian

Garland
08-17-2004, 02:43 AM
Er...bet?

Are you really scared of the K?

Garland