PDA

View Full Version : Bridge tips?

Tilty McTilterson
08-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Can anybody give me advice on how to hold my own in an informal bridge game?

I know the basic rules, and that's about it. I realize that it takes years to be a master at bridge. Luckly, I don't need to be very good. I just don't want to embarass myself.

What's the most basic advice you would give to a beginner (bidding, card play, how do you keep from being bored to death when you're the dummy, etc.)?

youtalkfunny
08-17-2004, 02:20 AM
I tried that once when I was in the army. I got three buddies who were very intelligent guys, who had never played the game and wanted to try it.

They say that bidding is 80% of the game, and playing the hands is rather mechanical. NOT FOR US, IT WASN'T! We didn't know what we were doing, and since we had partners, we were all scared of screwing up. Every hand, declarer played agonizingly slowly. It was brutal.

We had 2 bridge nights. There never was a 3rd one.

Toro
08-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Bridge is my 2nd favorite game but I don't get to play live unfortunately. But for the advice. Like poker you need to do a little research. Buy a book and learn some basic bidding.

Then like poker, you need practice. I play a lot on MSN Gaming Zone. It's free and there are tons of rooms at all different levels of expertise. Play on-line for a couple of weeks and you'll probably be able to not embarass yourself.

And when you're Dummy, like Poker when you're out of a hand, you should be following the play as a learning tool.

Good luck, it's a fun game.

P.S. One caveat on playing on-line. There are some jerks out there who will berate your play. I tend to get into giant pissing contests if I think my play was justified but probably the best thing is to just leave the table and go to another.

Edit: Also on-line you can choose to see your partners cards when you are Dummy. This is an excellent learning tool when watching soemone who knows what they are doing or even soemone who isn't because the mistakes become so obvious.

stripsqueez
08-17-2004, 09:18 AM
bid aggressively

when you are declarer in a suit contract there is a 80% correct line - draw your opponents trumps - ie play trumps until your opponents have been exhausted of trumps - and then play on your longest side suit

when declaring a no-trump contract always count your tricks before you start playing (a good idea in a suit contract too but more applicable to no-trumps) - it is usually right to lose tricks early in an effort to establish the tricks you will need to make your contract so dont randomly cash your winners at the start - again it is usually right to play on your longest suit

a fast game is a good game - i'm a kick ass bridge player and i regularly look stupid playing the game - your not doing it right unless you look stupid from time to time

traditionally dummy makes the tea - i never play the dummy - i think watching is a terrible thing to do - it makes you stressed and your partner more so - i am usually smoking whilst partner plays the hand - in my favourite london club i would always buy the next round of pints which was a popular thing to do

stripsqueez - chickenhawk