PDA

View Full Version : Questions about pro players

diego slim
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Are most top pros millionaires?? Do they have sponsors? Do they now make most of their money from online advertising or owning sites? ORR are they on the verge of going broke....Thanks in advance

MychilrensEat
08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
i dont know the answer to your question other than a lot of pros have sponsors and i'm sure are millionairres. What i am intrigued by is full tilt poker. You can buy in and play the toughest 1/2 game of your life against the likes of lederer, bloch, paul wolfe, ivey. I am all for the pros playing against amateurs, but that site needs to do something. i dont look forward to playing the hardest 1/2 game of my life, and it is probably why it isnt doing that well.

JeanieJ
08-16-2004, 09:37 PM
The top players, are top players for a reason. While I'm sure they have lots of money, this doesn't mean that all "pro's" are millionaires. There are plenty of people who make a living playing poker that aren't millionaires. The major names in poker are probably indeed millionaires. They wouldn't play poker professionally if they were going broke.

Hope this helps a bit... kind of a stupid question though.

Mike Gallo
08-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Most pros barely survive.

Anadrol 50
08-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Why was it a stupid question ?

RPatterson
08-17-2004, 01:31 AM
Unless your insanely good you don't have a huge edge over bad players.

Stryfe
08-17-2004, 01:49 AM
Not at all a stupid question. Something I've debated with friends quite a bit.

My theory is that money makes a lot of players. There are lots of great players out there. If I was a great player and had a million dollars in the bank to cover a years worth of $1000-$10,000 tournament entries, I could make a name for myself in poker. If I was a great player and had $500 dollars in the bank, you would probably never hear about me. Most players could never afford to play in these tournaments. Satellites are great, but that means you have to win two tournaments instead of one for someone who can buy their way into the main event.

In Poker, we keep score of how much people win, but we NEVER really get to hear how much they have lost. Just because someone wins a big tournament and wins $50,000 does not mean he is making money. There may have been ten $10,000 losses right before that. You can definitely win enough tournaments to be considered a "pro", but lose enough that you are not making money.

Poker is not like other games, anyone can play if they have the money. There are plenty of people calling themselves pros who have more money than brains.

Mike Gallo
08-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Unless your insanely good you don't have a huge edge over bad players.

Exactly.

Danenania
08-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Well to me the "top pros" would be the pros who make the most money. I'd think a lot of them are probably millionaires given how good the games are across most limits presently.

If you're talking about the guys who are on TV the most, though, then I'm not as sure. Since tournaments are the only events televised (no ring games), you could be seeing a lot of players at final tables who are still barely scraping together a living given the huge variance of tournament play.

There is probably also another large group of players who ARE millionaires but didn't (and couldn't have) gotten there through poker. Now they are just enjoying themselves at the table. They might call themselves pros but I wouldn't give them that label.

Danenania
08-18-2004, 12:26 AM
And I'm pretty sure if an "insanely good" player didn't have a huge edge over bad players (in the long run) this site wouldn't exist.

pokerkai
08-18-2004, 02:01 AM
"Most pros barely survive"

Call me an empiricist but whats your back up behind this claim.

Unless your insanely good you don't have a huge edge over bad players

That has to be one of the most moronic things Ive read on these boards.

Sponger15SB
08-18-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That has to be one of the most moronic things Ive read on these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

you haven't read many of his posts then have you? ero has worked himself up to one of the most hated and ridiculed posters on this site! get with the program