PDA

View Full Version : Help me improve - $20 SNG at party

hummusx
08-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">SB (t85)</font>
<font color="C00000">BB (t1765)</font>
UTG (t2555)
MP1 (t1405)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t925)</font>
CO (t985)
Button (t2280)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of t50.
BB calls t50, UTG calls t50, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t175</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls t35 (All-In), BB calls t125, UTG folds.

Flop: (t485) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t885) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, Hero calls t50.

River: (t985) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t985
<font color="green">Main Pot: t305 (t305), between SB, BB and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t680 (t680), between BB and Hero.</font>

adanthar
08-16-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t485) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t50</font>,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think you're ahead here?

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t885) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero calls t50.

River: (t985) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think BB has a spade? What do you think your best chance of winning this is?

hummusx
08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a decent chance I'm ahead, yes. With a low ace I wouldn't expect him to call, AQ I'd think he would check raise, and I wouldn't expect a min bet with AK. So I don't know where that leaves me, but yeah I thought I was ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, BB calls t150.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm just kind of lost.

[ QUOTE ]
Hero calls t50.

BB checks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think BB has a spade? What do you think your best chance of winning this is?

[/ QUOTE ] I guess I didn't think he had two spades, but one spade? Maybe a low one. Should I have pushed and hoped he figured me for a high single spade?

TheDrone
08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
SNGs require patience and selective aggression. I think you selected the wrong hand to be aggressive. I would call preflop behind the two limpers and see what the flop does for me. That's not the kind of flop I want to raise either, although I would raise in that situation if checked to me and I was last to act.

Doubling12
08-16-2004, 07:55 PM
This looks really suspicious, that he is goading you into going allin by making tiny bets. He called a large preflop raise, bet into you with an A out there, and then called your flop raise. It is possible he badly misplayed AA here, and checked the river because he was afraid *you* were the one with the flush draw. You might have taken a small shot, given how wounded you already are. But the previous poster has a point, there is no need to push KQ in this situation, especially against someone who has you so outchipped.

adanthar
08-16-2004, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a decent chance I'm ahead, yes. With a low ace I wouldn't expect him to call, AQ I'd think he would check raise, and I wouldn't expect a min bet with AK. So I don't know where that leaves me, but yeah I thought I was ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a Party low level SNG. There is an all in opponent, an ace on the board, and you are being bet at. There is a 99.9% chance he has an ace.

So he called your raise and then bet at you again on the turn...[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm just kind of lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to be lost. You're way behind.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I didn't think he had two spades, but one spade? Maybe a low one. Should I have pushed and hoped he figured me for a high single spade?

[/ QUOTE ]

He may not have folded, but he's about a thousand percent sure not to have a spade higher than maybe a T. Whether you want this pot that badly is up to you, but it sure is big (mostly because, for some weird reason, you raised the flop here.)

hummusx
08-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, it turns out he had 88, not an A. Which didn't put me any less behind.

If you'd been magically transported into my body just as the river card fell, what would you have done?

adanthar
08-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I hate making plays like that and would have already folded twice (okay, the flop might be a call getting 10:1, but I don't really go by pot odds when drawing in an SNG), but since you're there, I think I'd swallow hard and all in.

The pot is huge, you beat a single ace and a bigger 2 pair may not be able to call you, plus he sure doesn't look happy about that three flush *or* four flush.

Jman28
08-16-2004, 10:30 PM
I would limp preflop.

Next, I call the flop bet.

If he bet 50 again on the turn, I might raise to 200. If he bet 150+, I'd let him have it.

I check the river here too. Maybe I play too scared.

I don't like the preflop raise.

The flop play would have to depend on your read. 50 is a strange bet here, and I'm not sure at all what it means.

If you played the way you did, and got to the turn... and he is an observant player, you may want to push here as your flop raise could appear to be a semi-bluff on the flush draw.

I think the largest problem here was the preflop raise with the limpers behind you. With a smaller pot, you could get away more easily. With this size pot, you have to gamble a little.

Hal 2000
08-16-2004, 11:56 PM
with KQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif against 2 limpers, go ahead and limp with them. If your pf raise is called, you have to imagine you're behind. Your playing this for the K or hearts to hit, not the queen, especially staring at an Ace overcard

ligastar
08-17-2004, 12:07 AM
You say this is a $20 PP SNG...but there are 10,000 chips in play so it is not a $20 PP SNG. You were playing a $50 or higher game. FWIW...

Greg