PDA

View Full Version : NYC suggestions?

M2d
08-16-2004, 05:29 PM
The wife and I found a nice deal on the internet, so we're going to NYC for the Labor Day weekend.
This is our second trip, and there are a number of places/things we want to do again after a great trip last fall.
repeats include:
Basilica restaurant
Katz's Deli
Pearl's Oyster Bar
Museum of Natural History
some broadway play or another (suggestions?)

does anyone have any suggestions of restaurants or other must see things? I don't really want to go to the "name" restaurants like Balthazar. but would prefer leads to small neighborhood joints like Basilica. also, great deli's would be appreciated.

Lastly, what's the weather like then?

thanks in advance.

turnipmonster
08-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Grimaldi's pizza in brooklyn heights, just over the brooklyn bridge. it's nice to walk over the brooklyn bridge actually, just take the 4/5 train to bowling green. if you don't want to go to brooklyn, patsy's pizza (several locations) is equally good neapolitan pizza.

H&H bagels on broadway are the best bagels in the city, make sure to get them fresh right from the store.

De La Guarda is a great "interactive" off broadway show. I don't want to give away what it is, but it's great fun and you get wet. you stand up for the whole show, so be ready. it's playing in the daryl roth theatre in union square.

katz's deli is a must, also very popular (but IMO not as good) is 2nd ave deli on 2nd ave around 11th st.

if you enjoy jazz, definitely go see a show at the village vanguard. The oldest and best jazz club in the city, IMO, and they always have good people playing. it's also the least expensive of the top shelf jazz clubs.

for other activities, get a copy of the village voice or time out new york. the "voice choices" are the voice critic's highlights and are normally really good choices for almost any kind of entertainment (dance, theatre, etc).

most of us nyers can provide more specific recommendations if you let us know what you're into.

--turnipmonster

M2d
08-16-2004, 11:50 PM
that stuff sounds great. I'm printing out your post for reference. As you say, i'm def. going to Katz's, but 2nd ave. deli sounds cool, too.

Philuva
08-17-2004, 01:41 AM
I lived in NYC from 98 to 03. To me, NYC is best captured walking around. I would explore the areas south of 23rd street, as I think those neighborhoods are the most interesting. IMO, the east and west village have the best bars, restaurants and shops IMO. Chinatown, Lower East Side, SoHo, Tribeca are all cool areas to walk around as well.

For a very good burger and a cool bar, check out the Corner Bistro in the West Village on Jane and West 4th Street. They intersect diagonaly at 8th Ave(Hudson Ave.) Get the Bistro Burger. Then check out Chumley's, I think the oldest bar in NYC, cool speakeasy type feel, good for a drink. It is close to the Corner Bistro at 86 Bedford St.

If you lke Spanish food. My favorite is Xunta, a tiny Tapas place in the East Village on 1st Ave. b/t 10th and 11th Streets. The have live music and dancers on Thursday nights. Sangria is awesome and the dates wrapped with bacon are out of this world. Very cheap and very good.

If you like beer, I would also check out the Brooklyn Brewery. They have a fun happy hour on Friday nights and tours with free beers on Saturday afternoons. Take the L train for Brooklyn, exit first stop in Brooklyn, Bedford Avenue, (stay at rear of train), walk from North 7th Street to North 11th Street, turn left (towards the water) and walk a block and a half to the brewery. Along the way and south of the subway stop are cool shops in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.

My favorite Irish Pub with a great beer selection and cool feel is Swift on East 4th Street, I think b/t Browadway and Laf.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you like specific types of ethnic foods or types of bars (dives, trendy places, etc.) and I am sure I can recommend some.

bdk3clash
08-17-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm not even a Broadway type and I thoroughly enjoyed "Avenue Q," so it would get my vote.

Don't bother with 2nd Avenue Deli if you're going to Katz's.