PDA

View Full Version : Hand thats been buggin me

me454555
08-16-2004, 04:32 PM
This is a situation that I've always had trouble with. Comments on all streets appreciated

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (4.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

W/6 BBs in the pot, Its going to cost me another 2 to see a showdown. I didn't think I would be good here more than 1/3 of the time so I tossed it. This seems very weak tight though and its been bugging me.

Does anyone call down here?

Does anyone check behind here to avoid this situation?

MoreWineII
08-16-2004, 04:39 PM
You really don't think you're good at least a third of the time here?

sthief09
08-16-2004, 04:41 PM
you only have to be good 2 in 7, not 1 in 3. I'd expect you to be ahead like 50% of the time, let alone 22%

MaxPower
08-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Knowing nothing about your opponent I would have to say you should call. You will probably win at least 1/3 of the time.

J.R.
You will get 1 more bet from the bb so are effectively getting 2- 7. Plus, BB may give up and check the river.

A read on the BB helps, but I am pretty much always calling this down headsup v a blind defender. A flush draw, a complete bluff trying to knock you of QQ, JJ, TT, or AQ, or a worse king are all possible. Not sure if its ironic or not, but many like this middle card pairing as a bluff v. a pfr because many realize people will fold to the check-raise fearing trips.

I would not check behind here unless I thought BB had a tendancy to call on the flop with nothing and then fold the turn with nothing but woud bet almost everything if I checked the turn.

bdk3clash
I would call this down unless I had a specific read.

It's hard to estimate your outs (well, for me it is), but I think given the size of the pot, the chance that you're still good, and the redraws you have against hands that beat you (to win and to split) tip this to a call.

BB may have picked up a /images/graemlins/club.gif draw on the turn.

me454555
08-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Well, I'm not sure. Will a weaker K take this line of a play or a paired 8? Although looking at the size of the pot, I think Its defiantly right to call down.

Gotta love poker tracker b/c it allows you to see how weak tight you were.

mikeyKay
08-16-2004, 05:01 PM
i think checking behind on the turn is bad idea...but im not sure about calling down. all i can say for sure is to bet the turn. id have to agree with most of the other posts and say that you will be good a large percentage of the time. i do not like these situations either, and it seems like i will always be win or always loose depending on the session...but thats prolly all in my head anyway.

-mike

IndieMatty
08-16-2004, 05:04 PM
Very curious about this, I probably lost $50 bucks yesterday calling down with a turned board pairup. I unfortunately always call down heads up, unless I personally know the player. Probably a huge leak for me.

MoreWineII
08-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Barring an insane read, I would tend to think that I'm ahead here often enough to make this call.

Raising the turn scare card is such a common play by Party Poker d00d that it should have it's own name.

Not to mention that you have redraws if villian does have a 5 or 88.

Trix
08-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Gotta call down here unless you know he is passive. If you fold in this situation often, then they will start CRing the turn on high-card boards often, hoping you hold a lower pocket pair.

TheHip41
08-16-2004, 05:10 PM
You've got to call this down. You will be shown K-no kicker or a PP enough to make this call.

Derek

me454555
08-16-2004, 05:13 PM
This wasn't just a raise, the scare card. It was a c/r, meaning he knew I would bet and still decided to raise. I always think that this means that he's pretty sure I'm going to call and still thinks his hand is best. That usually means set.

If he just raised me on the turn, I'd definatly call this down.

MoreWineII
08-16-2004, 05:25 PM
That's a good point. Still, the fact that this hand is gnawing at you must tell you something about whether you think you made the correct laydown or not.

I still think that vs. unknown Party player I'm calling down even through the c/r. That could be a leak. :/

me454555
08-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Agreed