PDA

View Full Version : KQ on UTG+1

prrthd
08-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Was this a good free card play on the flop or was it too aggressive? Was the river raise good or should I have been worried when UTG came alive?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (9 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (9 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Sent
08-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Not sure I would've raised the river, the ace on the turn is not good for you as people like to play any ace and UTG might have been going for a check/raise.

-Sent

nolanfan34
08-16-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure worried is the right word, but I'd at least be a little concerned by the bet. UTG could certainly have planned on either CR'ing the turn, or is convinced now you don't have an A since you didn't bet the turn.

SB and BB have shown no strength at all, so I'd probably call down, because while overcalls may be unlikely, I really don't want to get 3-bet by UTG.

Edit: Sent beat me to it by a few seconds on the posting. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Forgot to mention, the flop raise to get the free card is OK, but I usually like to have a little more of a backdoor draw to make that play.

prrthd
08-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks, the possible missed c/r didn't occur to me.

Vern
08-16-2004, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...Forgot to mention, the flop raise to get the free card is OK, but I usually like to have a little more of a backdoor draw to make that play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the perfect place for it. Hero will have top pair or better by the river with odds of 3.56:1, assuming the flop bettor and caller call the raise, the pot is laying 14:2 here and he can then make a Showdown decision. The flop is sufficiently ragged to make this a good play.

I think he has to at least call the river though, it is just as likely that the bettor is betting something other than an ace as he was cleaning up a missed C/R attempt from the turn, however, the river raise is not bad since it could cause a weak ace to fold behind him.(unlikely at this level)

Chris Daddy Cool
08-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Raising the river sucks, unless you know his hand of course. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

nolanfan34
08-16-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think this is the perfect place for it. Hero will have top pair or better by the river with odds of 3.56:1, assuming the flop bettor and caller call the raise, the pot is laying 14:2 here and he can then make a Showdown decision. The flop is sufficiently ragged to make this a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I completely agree with this. If hero is last to act on the flop, then I think it's more correct. But if the goal of the raise is to get a free river card, you can't count on that when someone could potentially call your raise and still have position on you on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
I think he has to at least call the river though, it is just as likely that the bettor is betting something other than an ace as he was cleaning up a missed C/R attempt from the turn, however, the river raise is not bad since it could cause a weak ace to fold behind him.(unlikely at this level)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree he should call the river.