PDA

View Full Version : Plan for getting the most from this hand?

adanthar
08-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Second or third hand of a $30 SNG. No reads on anyone as of yet.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed)

Button (t790)
SB (t745)
BB (t920)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t745)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
Hero (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, MP3 calls t75, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t75, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t60, UTG+1 calls t60, UTG+2 calls t60.

Flop: (t460) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero...</font>

durron597
08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
I would check. This is not a drawalicious board, you can afford to give a free card.

tallstack
08-16-2004, 03:37 PM
The board doesn't look too scary with no flush draw and only inside straight draws. However, there are so many people in that I would not want to give a free card here.

FWIW, I would likely bet out about t250 and if I got callers I would push the turn.

Dave S

woodguy
08-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I'd check too.
With 2 to act behind you someone will probably bet.
With 5 callers and an A on board there is bound to be action, and you don't have to start it.
The AK may give someone a 4 to a straight so I'd probably hope to check raise on the flop, but I like your hand enough not to start the action.
OR
Underbet the pot hoping a big A comes over top.

What did you do, and how did it turn out?

regards,
woodguy

NegativeEV
08-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure. If your opponents do not have an A or K, what hands will improve enough to give you action on 4th street that you don't fear? If 10, J, or Q comes on 4th street, you still won't get action if your opponent has only one pair, and you could find yourself against the straight (suited connectors 10J and QJ are frequent preflop calling hands on the $33 table). If your opponent had A or K, they'll likely call a decent sized bet on the flop anyway, so no need to wait until 4th street. I think playing this straight up and betting the pot on the flop will get action from any A or K, and checking will not induce much additional action on 4th street unless its action you don't want. Betting this flop with your hand is also a little deceptive at the $33 tables as I think the general play there would be to check/slowplay this (this also increases the likelyhood that you will not get action on 4th street if no one has the A or K- they expect a slowplay from your hand and will lay down anyway).

soxfan70
08-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I check. with 4 callers, At LEAST one of them called with an Ace, give them the rope and let them hang themselves. A bet here after the pre-flop raise screams "I've got you beat," and may induce folds when you don't want them. The check may look like you were trying to steal pre-flop, and were surprised by the callers. If there's no action behind you, I think i check it again on the turn regardless, hoping to induce the bluff. With still no action, I bet on the river in hopes that that looks like a steal.

Jman28
08-16-2004, 04:29 PM
I bet here. Assuming half decent opposition, what hands would they have called with preflop after the raise?

<font color="red"> AK,AQ,AJ,AT </font> <font color="blue"> KQ,KJ, </font> QJ,JTs, <font color="red">AA </font>,QQ,JJ,TT,99,88, <font color="red"> 77

Red = Probable call or raise on flop</font>
<font color="blue">Blue = Possible call on flop </font>

The thing is, besides QQ-88, it is tough for most of these hands to improve to great second best hands. Even these hands are unlikely to hit.

AT or AJ could hit 2 pair or trip aces, but you're probably getting a call anyway on the flop.

If a player is willing to call that raise preflop with ATo+, he will call this flop bet so long as it isn't larger than the pot.

By checking, you may let a straight hit, and with this hand and so many players, I don't even wanna let someone hit a four flush.

I bet and hope for two players with an ace calling. Keep in mind that AK or 77 would probably have checked to you from the early position. You may bet, get 2 callers, and have 77 raise.

I'm curious to see how the hand went down.

adanthar
08-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I thought about it for a few seconds (which conveniently also made me look scared) and decided to go with woodguy's idea and underbet, hoping an A would checkraise.

Flop: (t460) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, BB calls t125, UTG+1 calls t125, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (t835) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero...</font>

woodguy
08-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Damn, no re-raise.
As much as I'd like to try to milk this some more, I'm happy to take it down here and since my stack is less than the pot, I push.

regards,
woodguy

durron597
08-16-2004, 04:37 PM
I think I might check here (though push is nice too). You may produce a river bluff by betting and checking the turn; you took a relatively LP stab and got called, so you check. They will probably put you on a weakish King if you check now.

MercTec
08-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Push....that card is not a blank.

Potowame
08-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Push, You have to take this pot now or charge the draws. Alot of players would chase that weak flop bet with hands like J /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif, in which this turn gave him 15 outs. Double belly buster&amp; flush draw.

adanthar
08-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Hahah.

I actually posted this hand because of my turn play. I wanted to sandbag it a little more- trying to get a reraise in on the turn- and, although it worked, it almost cost me.

Turn: (t835) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t720 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls t545 (All-In), Hero calls t400 (All-In).

River: (t2700) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2700

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 8h 8s (three of a kind, eights).
UTG+1 shows Tc Jc (high card, ace).
Hero shows Kc Ks (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins t2580. BB wins t120. </font>

A happy ending (and I took first), but next time I'll push on the turn. Special thanks to BB, without whom this wouldn't be possible /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gergery
08-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I don’t slowplay this. With 6 people in someone has an Ace, and someone else has QJ/JT/QT. I probably bet around half the pot ~200 to look weak and make gutshots pay, and hope A7/AQ/AJ reraises. You’ll probably get 3 callers, so the pot will be 1000 on the turn while you’ll have 600 left so push in then (while muttering “nooo straights” if a QJT hit on the turn).

After reading posts, I think they would have payed more to stay, and … when an 8 hits, I bet around 400. I’m willing to encourage them to get all their chips in with a hand this good, even at risk of getting drawn out on. A clubflush has 8 outs, JT has 8 outs, QJ/QT has 4 outs, and AK/A7/77 has 2 outs at best. So offering 3.3 to 1 seems fine. Hmm, I guess if they called preflop its more likely they’re suited, so I suppose JTclubs could theoretically have 15 outs making a push better than T400, but I’ll take my chances.

Inducing a bluff by checking is not bad either here, as you have to figure a high Ace is most likely holding for your opponent and they should bet it. But I’d rather not give a completely free card to say QJ/JT/T9 clubs who’ve got 12 outs and could very well check this thru knowing someone else almost certainly has an ace.

--Greg