PDA

View Full Version : AQs with preflop madness

Redeye
08-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Live 4/8 game. Big pot preflop, and I had no idea what to do. Reads: UTG+1 will raise with any suited cards, especially if they're connected. Button, old guy who had reinvented the calling station. SB, LAG who has single handedly talked this table into new levels of loose play. While loose pre-flop, he plays well post flop. Loves to pump draws and is very aggressive.

Hero is MP3 with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, Hero 3-bets, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 4-bets, Hero calls, Button calls, SB caps, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls

5 to the flop for 25 SB

Flop: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif x-(can't remember but unimportant non-diamond) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets ( <font color="blue"> </font> ? <font color="black"> </font> ), Button folds, SB raises, UTG folds, UTG+1 3-bets, Hero <font color="blue"> </font> ???? <font color="black"> </font>

If I make this call, SB and UTG+1 are going to cap this flop, so it will cost me 4 SB not 2 in order to see the turn. While UTG+1 has PFR with a lot of trash, his 4-bet had me alarmed. SB could easily have a spade draw or any other part of the board. Please help.

I also have no idea why I bet at this flop, but when it almost checked around I figured if I bet it might show SB and UTG+1 some strength and get one of them to fold. Again, it wasn't real well thought out.

zram21
08-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Fold. You are getting about 10-1 on your over cards, but the A and Q of spades are suspect at best and you might be reverse dominated by AJ or A9 here. POssibly even QJ or Q9 given the players description.

MoreWineII
08-16-2004, 03:13 PM
a.) Why bet the flop?

b.) Fold to the raises. Just get out. Run away and never look back.

Redeye
08-16-2004, 03:14 PM
If the thrid card would've been a diamond, would that change anything considering the size of this pot?

Redeye
08-16-2004, 03:48 PM
The bet was horrible, I knew it as I was doing it. Maybe this hand is completely uninteresting, but at the time I remember this being a really difficult decision. Under any other circumstances it would've been a clear fold. Unfortunately, the only two remaining in the hand could've had just about anything and there was a strong possibility that both over cards were good. Is there ever a specific enough read on players that can allow you to make a call in this situation or is it always a clear fold?

JARID
08-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Red,

Not sure why you bet the flop. You have position on these guys, use it, check through.

Fold to the raise and re-raise. I once read here that LAGs get good cards too sometimes. Seems obvious, but it is easy to forget when people play a LAG style. Couple this with the fact that you don't have a hand and some of your outs to a hand are compromised and I think it is an easy fold.

I might feel differently if you were heads up.

-Jarid

MoreWineII
08-16-2004, 04:19 PM
If you had cleaner outs, I might see it differently, but your outs are just filthy.

zram21
08-16-2004, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the thrid card would've been a diamond, would that change anything considering the size of this pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well your outs don't look fantastic at the moment even with the addition of the backdoor flush draw. Any Q may give one of your opponents a redraw to the straight. The A and Q of spades may make a flush and you might be reverse dominated. So with all that in mind lets say you have 2 outs for your Aces (discounting half outs for the flush and reverse domination) and a generous 2 outs for your Qs. With the back door flush draw that gives you about 5.5 outs.

With 5.5 outs it would be correct to call, but it might get raised behind you and that 5.5 outs may be a bit generous. As many people have pointed out the better play even with the back door flush draw would have been to check it through and see if you pick up the flush draw or one of your outs and go from there.