PDA

View Full Version : Larger pairs...how to play them in a turbo tourney

mikey checks
08-16-2004, 02:59 PM
I play mostly turbo tourneys as of late. As my bankroll increases I may opt for the $10+1s or $20+1s...I feel a lot more room to negotiate my strategy with. However, I find myself picking up _9s_--_10s_ wired as one of the best hands I've seen all tourney early to mid game. I'm wondering whats the best way to play these aggressively while avoiding slowplayers of AA/KK/QQ/AK.

Usually AK is played aggressively, as is KK. But AA and QQ are mostly slowplayed if not reraised...so when you do raise with your wired pair sometimes I'll get caught. I know this is an obvious underdog to higher pairs and slight favorite to overcards, but I find a lot of times you will catch at least a nice flop that you can push on or a clear sign that your caller is Ace hunting. What is the best way to play these hands ? I usually do 3-4xBB hoping to just get a caller. If I have a large stack I'm much more willing to push with this hand as I'm usually up against a desparate KQ or AJ/Q. Still, I usually check the flop and push with a J high or lower.

mikey checks
08-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Maybe we need to come to a consensus on good tourney play. It doesn't leave a lot of room for error as the earlier errors cause for earlier desparation.

PS. I had KJs in SB. Raised preflop I call the 2x. end up betting out the flop with a J and 2 diamonds, turn is a blank, I bet again, river is a 3-blank. I bet hard and the idiot in BB was called with J3 the whole time. I was betting around 3-5xBB a street.