PDA

View Full Version : Why olympics?

Martin Aigner
08-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Austria just made itīs first medal at this years olympics (Markus Rogan silver at 100m backstroke). Now this is really something for a small country like Austria. You Americans probably canīt be really happy if someone wins one more medal, but for us this is an almost historical event. This made me wonder: What is it for you Americans that makes the olympics exciting for you? I mean: Lots of the disciplines there arenīt too exciting to watch. Gun shooting, horse dressage, wrestling, weight lifting, sailing, fencing .... , you get the picture. These are usually disciplins almost nobody would watch in TV. Now every 4 years folks get excited about it. I can understand why we Austrians watched the swimming event today, but if we had hundreds of athlets and expect something like 100 medals nobody would really be interested in a guy winning an event like sailing. But 4 years ago, when we won 2 gold medals at Sidney in sailing, most of us got up early in the mornig to watch some boats floating on the sea. So what is it that makes Americns interested in the olypmics?

Just curious

Martin Aigner

adios
08-16-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now this is really something for a small country like Austria. You Americans probably canīt be really happy if someone wins one more medal, but for us this is an almost historical event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope your country wins a lot more, seriously.

[ QUOTE ]
What is it for you Americans that makes the olympics exciting for you? I mean: Lots of the disciplines there arenīt too exciting to watch. Gun shooting, horse dressage, wrestling, weight lifting, sailing, fencing .... , you get the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this is the only time I get to watch much of these sports so it is interesting to some degree.

[ QUOTE ]
So what is it that makes Americns interested in the olypmics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally my favorites are boxing and track & field. I can honestly state that it's not too important to me whether or not the U.S. wins either. My wife likes gymnastics a lot so I end up watcing some of that as well.

scotnt73
08-16-2004, 01:53 PM
to be honest i dont know many people who get into the olypics. its just boring as hell. the only time in my life i have enjoyed the olypics was watching johnson(gold shoes) own the 1 lap and half lap events.

Oski
08-16-2004, 01:59 PM
American atheletes don't come from a crate; they have hometowns and communities as well. I can imagine people from an athelete's community are interested in "one of their" own competing, and will get up early in the morning to follow that athelete's exploits. This is not a phenomena belonging only to small countries.

Truth be told, however, most people who watch the Olympics do not know the atheletes from a hole in the ground; I would assume most of Austria's 7 mil. don't know the swimmer who won the silver, either.

Most sports are impossible to watch without a rooting interest. It seems natural that if one does not know any of the competitors, one will readily root for their country.

In my opinion, the "Olympics" don't really exist anymore, anyway (that is, if ever). The whole thing is a corporate orgy, and a pretext to sell you sh!t. Most atheletes are defacto professionals, and they are not there for the "spirit" of competition. They are there to win and reap the material rewards of the victory.

Finally, I really don't believe "Americans" really care too much about WHO wins. That is all media hype and b.s. The damn thing is on television, so we watch it because we are a nation of couch potatos. Three weeks from now, 99% of Americans will not be able to name more than 4 or 5 of the competitors, especially since football season will be underway.

MaxPower
08-16-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't think most Americans are very interested in the Olympics anymore. I tried to watch some of it yesterday, but I couldn't watch more than 2 minutes of it. Most people I know have little to no interest in it.

Years ago, during the cold war, it was important for us to beat the commies, so there was more interest. I don't really care how many medals the US wins.

I really don't like the way that NBC covers the Olympics. Too many human interest stories and too much focus on American athletes.

Martin Aigner
08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would assume most of Austria's 7 mil. don't know the swimmer who won the silver, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far from that. I would guess that 60% of the Austrians could name him immediatly. Which is way more than people interested in swimming or even in sports.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Oski
08-16-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would assume most of Austria's 7 mil. don't know the swimmer who won the silver, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Far from that. I would guess that 60% of the Austrians could name him immediatly. Which is way more than people interested in swimming or even in sports.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not mean that most could not "name" him, I meant they do not personally know him. For what its worth, I am sure quite a few Americans can name Michael Phelps, or even Australia's Ian Thorpe for that matter.

Martin Aigner
08-16-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is really something for a small country like Austria. You Americans probably canīt be really happy if someone wins one more medal, but for us this is an almost historical event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope your country wins a lot more, seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, thanks a lot. Furtunatly rusty JEDI is not president of the IOC, and therefore itīll be a 200m backstroke, too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Martin Aigner
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
LOL, I admit that the number of people personally knowing him might be a bit smaller /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Usul
08-16-2004, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The whole thing is a corporate orgy, and a pretext to sell Most atheletes are defacto professionals, and they are not there for the "spirit" of competition. They are there to win and reap the material rewards of the victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you have never been, or known, an elite amateur athelete. I will admit that some atheletes reap finacial benifits from thier olympic success, but this is a very small percentage. Most amateur atheletes live very close to the poverty line. Imagine having to train six hours a day while going to school to get an education and then trying to make rent on top of that. It is an EXTREMELY hard way of living that 99.9 percent of us just cannot handle. If you don't like the olympics, that's fine. But don't disrespect men and women who have sacrificed thier whole lives for a shot at becoming an olympic champion.

Oski
08-16-2004, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The whole thing is a corporate orgy, and a pretext to sell Most atheletes are defacto professionals, and they are not there for the "spirit" of competition. They are there to win and reap the material rewards of the victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you have never been, or known, an elite amateur athelete. I will admit that some atheletes reap finacial benifits from thier olympic success, but this is a very small percentage. Most amateur atheletes live very close to the poverty line. Imagine having to train six hours a day while going to school to get an education and then trying to make rent on top of that. It is an EXTREMELY hard way of living that 99.9 percent of us just cannot handle. If you don't like the olympics, that's fine. But don't disrespect men and women who have sacrificed thier whole lives for a shot at becoming an olympic champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong on the second count. Nevertheless, that is not important. I lament the death of the true Olympics. It seems unreasonable to ignore the fact the whole thing has been hyped up by corporate America. Furthermore, although many of the atheletes in the obscure sports do have low incomes, that is their choice.

As I am sure you know, many of the atheletes (at least in foreign countries) live on govenment stipends and attend sports academies. Here in the states, some atheletes avail themselves of friendly employers such as Home Depot who allow the atheletes to train and make a living. Also, if I am not mistaken, many countries dole out substantial prizes for medals. And why does this happen? Well, the Soviet bloc and East Germans, to name a few countries decided to mass produce Olympic atheletes, making it impossible to compete as a "true amateur."

I do like the Olympics, but the atheletes are no longer the story. I wish we could turn back the clock but we can't.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-16-2004, 10:30 PM
What is it for you Americans that makes the olympics exciting for you?

I don't know why you think it's a big thing here. I can't think of anybody I know (and many of my friends are sports fans) who is at all interested in the olympics.

What is it for you Americans that makes the olympics exciting for you? I mean: Lots of the disciplines there arenīt too exciting to watch. Gun shooting

Well, we Americans *are* really fond of guns. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Usul
08-17-2004, 01:16 AM
Well, perhaps our experiences have been rather different, but in Canada funding for atheletes at the top of their sports wouldn't even equate to minimum wage for the hours they put into training. I have had the opertunity to train with several of Canada's olympic atheletes, as well as some of the USA's medalists. They struggle as amatuer atheletes to support thier families and thier training. I don't think that kind of effort and sacrifice should be overlooked as you have.

Oski
08-17-2004, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, perhaps our experiences have been rather different, but in Canada funding for atheletes at the top of their sports wouldn't even equate to minimum wage for the hours they put into training. I have had the opertunity to train with several of Canada's olympic atheletes, as well as some of the USA's medalists. They struggle as amatuer atheletes to support thier families and thier training I don't think that kind of effort and sacrifice should be overlooked as you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is to be admired? Its one thing to pursue a hobby, but to make your family sacrifice is another.

Usul
08-17-2004, 01:48 AM
Most of us go through life and never achieve anything more than mediocrity. It is absolutely to be admired that someone can make that kind of sacrifice. I guess not everybody gets that, but that's why not everyone can be a champion.

jwvdcw
08-17-2004, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best regards

Martin Aigner

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not mean that most could not "name" him, I meant they do not personally know him. For what its worth, I am sure quite a few Americans can name Michael Phelps, or even Australia's Ian Thorpe for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt that anywhere close to 60% of Americans could tell you who Michael Phelps is.

Oski
08-17-2004, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of us go through life and never achieve anything more than mediocrity. It is absolutely to be admired that someone can make that kind of sacrifice. I guess not everybody gets that, but that's why not everyone can be a champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you miss the point as well. Is it really a virtue to achieve exellence in a mediocre sport? No. Therefore, is it somehow a virtue to suffer and sacrifice for these obscure sports. No. These people sacrifice to pursue what amount to mere hobbies. If you cannot make any reasonable amounts of money at these pursuits, that is what they are.

With that being said, that is what the Olympic "Spirit" no longer has. These sports were not intended to be perfected by quasi-pro, or de-facto pro atheletes training year-round, 6 hours per day. They were for AMATEURS. The modern Olympics do not have a place for the amateur athelete. These people have to devote so much time, they are pros, albeit, low paid pros.

I know a guy that can shine any old pair of shoes and make them look almost new. He is far beyond mediocre in shining shoes. He didn't have to go to the Olympics to prove it.

Oski
08-17-2004, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best regards

Martin Aigner

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt that anywhere close to 60% of Americans could tell you who Michael Phelps is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain you are correct. I don't know when "quite a few" became equated with 60%

Martin Aigner
08-17-2004, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
don't know why you think it's a big thing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, somebody posted that CBS (or NBC, or whatever station) broadcasts in over 64 stations from the Olympics. Sounded like a lot to me, and I thougt they wouldnīt do it without a market.

Berst regards

Martin Aigner

Usul
08-17-2004, 02:39 AM
Well, I would almost agree with you if we were talking about syncro diving. I don't think it has a place in the olympics, although that doesn't mean the athelete's in synchro diving don't train hard. But I'm talking about wrestling. There is no proffesional wrestling in North America (pro wrestling as you and I know it is not wrestling). Wrestling is a true amateur sport, unspoiled by endorsement deals and the like. I know of no other sport that takes as much dedication and desire. I think atheletes in these types of sports deserve our most sincere respect.

Martin Aigner
08-17-2004, 02:43 AM
Usul,

what makes it the difference that syncro diving shouldnīt have its place at the olympics, compared to wrestling?

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Usul
08-17-2004, 02:46 AM
That's a good point. IMHO wrestling is the true essence of sport. Just two men (or women) and a mat. It is the greatest test of physical dominance, stamina and athleticism. I don't think you could say the same about synchro diving, but I'm sure some people would.

Oski
08-17-2004, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't know why you think it's a big thing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, somebody posted that CBS (or NBC, or whatever station) broadcasts in over 64 stations from the Olympics. Sounded like a lot to me, and I thougt they wouldnīt do it without a market.

Berst regards

Martin Aigner

[/ QUOTE ]

In the States, it seems the Olympics are broadcast for non-sports fans. I am an avid sports fan and participant (I don't train with the Canadian Olympic Weightlifters, nor do I have 3 gold Championship football rings), yet I rarely watch the Olympics. Most sports fans I know don't really watch them either.

Of course, there are a few marque events (wrestling not among them) that create a buzz and compel me and my friends to watch. I do know the Olympics get huge ratings, and during the Olympics, it seems many non-sports fans that I know are watching them regularly. I suppose it has to do with how the games are broadcast and packaged with all the human interest stories, which set up a "back-story" to every event.

Every once in awhile I will tune in to see what obscure hobby the competition committee has deemed worthy of being included as a sanctioned event.

Oski
08-17-2004, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I would almost agree with you if we were talking about syncro diving. I don't think it has a place in the olympics, although that doesn't mean the athelete's in synchro diving don't train hard. But I'm talking about wrestling. There is no proffesional wrestling in North America (pro wrestling as you and I know it is not wrestling). Wrestling is a true amateur sport, unspoiled by endorsement deals and the like. I know of no other sport that takes as much dedication and desire. I think atheletes in these types of sports deserve our most sincere respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now we are on the same page. I think for all the reasons you have cited, they should be considered suckers.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-17-2004, 05:57 AM
It's a case of NBC making a market. By broadcasting into enough homes for enough hours, they can pitch the ad space to big companies. For a Fortune 50 company like Xerox, there's no downside, thus NBC makes money even if the Olympics don't draw a big share.