PDA

View Full Version : Was I too aggressive...

chaz64
08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
on the turn? Perhaps I should have just called (or folded even, but pot seemed too big for that). Any opinions?

Paradise Poker 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 24.50 BB

Nottom
08-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Yes you are were too agressive, no you can't fold the river.

Alobar
08-16-2004, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes you are were too agressive, no you can't fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]\

yeah, what nottom said

spacemonkey57
08-16-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't understand why you called the flop 3-bet and then raised the turn. Were you trying a stop &amp; go?

I agree with the others on the river. There's no way to fold here.

chaz64
08-16-2004, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you called the flop 3-bet and then raised the turn. Were you trying a stop &amp; go?

I agree with the others on the river. There's no way to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think raising the turn was a mistake, I plead quilty to being too aggressive.

I admit I've got a lot to learn about this game, but if I just called the turn, doesn't anyone vote for a fold on the river here? You're facing two bets here, one from someone who was continually firing bets, and you can't even end the action (SB can/did re-raise). I felt there was no way I had the best hand here.

Sent
08-16-2004, 01:38 PM
You can't fold the river, when the 3rd 8 comes out that even lowers the chance that they have an 8 and gives you a better chance at winning with your full house.

-Sent

chaz64
08-16-2004, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold the river, when the 3rd 8 comes out that even lowers the chance that they have an 8 and gives you a better chance at winning with your full house.

-Sent

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that, most of the time, you would assume you are up against another queen (rather than an 8) and expect to split the pot when you fill up on the river?

If you assume BB has a queen and a worse kicker, and SB is on a draw, should you then be raising the turn, since you have (presumably) the best hand (at that point)?

chaz64
08-16-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you assume BB has a queen and a worse kicker, and SB is on a draw, should you then be raising the turn, since you have (presumably) the best hand (at that point)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind, I just realized I'm using info I don't have at this point in time. On the turn he is just as likely to have an 8 as a Q, so I guess calling is the thing to do.

Sent
08-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Given the info you have he is twice as likely to have a Queen as opposed to an 8. SB could be overplaying a back door flush, lower pocket pair, etc. Can't wait for the results on this one, I guess someone has an 8 though.

-Sent

meep_42
08-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Call the turn after you get 3-bet on the flop, raise the river every time.

BB has to have QQ (and missed a bet pf) or an 8, or is a complete maniac.

SB has a Q, as he came alive on the river.

-d

chaz64
08-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your replies.

SB had A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB had 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Guess I should have called the river, but in this case I just got lucky and saved some bets; maybe I'm too afraid of monsters and too ready to assume that aggression means someone has made trips on the flop. Next time I'll remember he could just have another queen, become a calling station, and hope for the best.

Poor SB was so happy he made his flush, he didn't realize he could be up against a full boat AND quads.

meep_42
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
The thing to remember on this board is that there are exactly 4 hands that beat you, AA, KK, QQ, and x8. Much more often you will at least split the pot with top pair on a tripped board.

-d