PDA

View Full Version : The Olympic Spirit

Gamblor
08-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Games hit by crisis over Iran-Israel contest (http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200408/s1177025.htm)

World Judo champion Arash Miresmaeili won't be competing in Olympics due to the fact that he weighed more than the 66 kilogram limit for his class. Miresaeili carried the Iranian flag in the opening ceremonies Friday night, and is one of the most experienced in his sport but suddenly made a amateurish "error" and was deemed unable to compete.

And now, the rest of the story.

Miresmaeili's first match was supposed to be against Israeli Ehud Vaks. There is no question that Miresmaeili would have wiped the floor with Vaks but Miresmaeili, fearing retribution in his own country and ignoring the "spirit" of the Olympics refused to compete.

Martin Aigner
08-16-2004, 09:57 AM
I donīt see a reason why he should fear retribution if he wins. Now losing the fight might be something dfferent, but since this was out of question (as far as possible in sport, see US basketball team) I think it was no fear of retribution.

Whatever it was, pretty dumb of him. Esp. since winning the gold medal would be worth something like $ 80.000 for Iranians (if I recall it right, but I think this was the figure they mentioned in TV)

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Gamblor
08-16-2004, 10:30 AM
I think you're giving him too much credit.

I believe the problem, for him, is that even recognizing Israel's right to send an athlete to the Olympics is grounds for retribution in Iran.