PDA

View Full Version : AL Cy Young winner?

Boris
08-16-2004, 02:51 AM
Whoever gets the most wins out of Schilling, Martinez or Mulder will probably win. I think a good dark horse candidate is Johan Santana. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he plays for the Twins but he has nasty stuff and an WHIP of 1.01. That is pretty sick considering he also has 166 IP so far.

daryn
08-16-2004, 02:53 AM
good points..

i do think it's going to santana.

bwana devil
08-16-2004, 10:59 AM
all good choices. all three of them are neck and neck. and id love to see it go to schilling or pedro showing my redsox bias.

but as much as i hate to give a nod to the evil empire, i think rivera deserves a look. 40 saves. 1.48 era. that's pretty impressive.

i know closers are ususally not favored but rivera is so dominating he needs to be at least be in the pool of mentionables at this point in the season.

bwana

NoPeak
08-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Santana gets my vote. After a rough first half, he has been the best pitcher in the majors since the break. I dont think Schilling or Pedro either one deserve it. Mulder or Santana should be the choice.

glen
08-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Pedro has been solid lately, and should continue to be now that the weather is warm and he has just come off a complete game. I just hope he doesn't dominate the starter stats again and get robbed of it like he did vs. zito since he will probably sit out the last game or two if they make the playoffs. . . .

ThaSaltCracka
08-16-2004, 01:39 PM
1. Johan
2. Schilling
3. Pedro
4. Mulder

Johan has been amazing, and clearly the most dominant.

andyfox
08-16-2004, 02:24 PM
He's actually been better than Rivera.

Mulder has the inside track because of his name recognition and 15-4 record. If he ends up, say, 23-7, it's going to be tough not to give it to him. If Rivera ends up with over 50 saves, he'll also get some consideration; he also has name recognition going for him.

nolanfan34
08-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Santana, and it's not close.

And yes, I'm bitter, because I traded him away on two fantasy teams after his slow start. I was CONVINCED that he might be hurt, after his off-season elbow surgery.

So much for that theory.

andyfox
08-20-2004, 01:07 PM
As soon as I nominate him for Cy Young consideration he implodes last night. Everybody's human, I guess; even Gagne has lost the ballgame each of the last two nights.

Jim Kuhn
08-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Andy,

[ QUOTE ]
Mulder has the inside track because of his name recognition and 15-4 record. If he ends up, say, 23-7, it's going to be tough not to give it to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would imply that he gets at least eleven more starts. Is there that much season left? I would think he would only get about eight or nine more starts and some no decisions would also factor in. I agree with the rest of your info.

Zeno
08-20-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody's human, I guess; even Gagne has lost the ballgame each of the last two nights.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was bad. The Giants are closing in but still 4.5 games back I think. Atlanta is surging and looking very good and Smoltz is no slacker, 32 saves this year; I think he made Atlanta’s all time saves list last night.

I have become a semi-Dodger fan since I put money on them to win the NL Pennant and the WS. Since the Mariners and Diamondbacks are out I wanted to add some extra incentive and tension for late and post-season baseball. Should have some good races and great post-season again this year. I am looking forward to it.

-Zeno