PDA

View Full Version : Senseless or Sensible?

toby
08-16-2004, 02:26 AM
I posted in CO and when it folded to me I thought a steal-raise might be in order. (I *think* I read this somewhere...can anyone back me up here?)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.
<font color="red"> Well they don't believe I have an A, or at least they have something better. Is it utterly pointless to call the raise here? I was hoping to pick up another spade. </font>
Turn: (6.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.
<font color="red"> Picked up OESD, pot is 6.5:1 draw is 5.75:1. What's the correct play? </font>
River: (9.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls.
<font color="red"> Whiffff, don't think a pair of 5's is good here. Did I just throw away money from the get-go? </font>
Final Pot: 15.50 BB

Garland
08-16-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I posted in CO and when it folded to me I thought a steal-raise might be in order. (I *think* I read this somewhere...can anyone back me up here?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's right. You already have 1 bet when it's folded to you, and you only have to invest 1 more bet to possibly steal the blinds. Sounds good to me.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (7 SB) 7, A, Q (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB calls, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should fold to the raise. Even if SB folds, you should fold here. The gig is up.

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks, Hero checks, Button bets, SB calls, Hero calls.
Picked up OESD, pot is 6.5:1 draw is 5.75:1. What's the correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you pick up the OESD, you have the odds to continue to draw to the straight. Even if it's a bit off, you have huge implied odds should you hit, especially if button is very strong. But let's be honest: you shouldn't have been here at the turn anyways.

River: Fold is fine. No way your little pair is good in this spot.

Garland

MicroBob
08-16-2004, 04:06 AM
what he said.

your flop call is almost debateable if it's raised heads-up depending on how far you want to take it.

but you were new at the table...so you don't know them and they don't know you.

plus...it was 3-HANDED!!
you're not just calling a raise. you calling a raise AND someone who was comfortable enough with whatever they had to call that raise.

calling here is silly.

there's a big difference between heads-up and 3-handed in situations like this...although i would probably fold to a raise heads-up here also.