PDA

View Full Version : Gus Hansen just outplayed Howard Lederer

RPatterson
08-16-2004, 12:38 AM
It's comical how he keeps dominating every player he goes up again. When will they learn. Don't mess around with Gus.

sonataarctica
08-16-2004, 12:51 AM
when did he outplay him? i mean he outdrew him ya but when did he outplay him? seriously

LLXC
08-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Was this the pocket Ks vs pocket 7s? Lucky 7 on the turn?

RowdyZ
08-16-2004, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Was this the pocket Ks vs pocket 7s? Lucky 7 on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was pocket kings vs 97 with a 7 on the flop and another on the turn.

Easy E
08-16-2004, 09:31 AM
This post was a test. It was only a test. If the former had been a real post, the Severe Sarcasm Monitor would not have gone off

jacksfull
08-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Gus has got to be the luckiest player I've ever seen at this level. Even going back to his WPT wins from last year, he consistently goes in with the worst hand and comes out smelling like roses. His aggressive style makes him fun to watch, but I can imagine that other players are frustrated when they make a tough decision to call him with the best hand, and still lose the pot.

Cleveland Guy
08-16-2004, 11:45 AM
This is what makes Gus so dangerous. I didn't see the hand- so I can't comment on it specifically.

But if you call his all in - he is just as likely to have AA, a set, a flush, etc. as he is to have two rags. Luck is a huge part of his game - but I'm guessing early on in tournaments he takes down a lot of pots with people not having hands they are sure about calling an all in on.

I think he gets called on them a lot more at the final table since they are all in the money here.

Easy E
08-16-2004, 12:17 PM
I assumed that's why Doyle led all-in with AK on the 338 flop- didn't want to risk Gus catching something bizzare.

Sponger15SB
08-16-2004, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assumed that's why Doyle led all-in with AK on the 338 flop- didn't want to risk Gus catching something bizzare.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see it, but i'm guessing Gus flopped a full house? haha

jwvdcw
08-16-2004, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is what makes Gus so dangerous. I didn't see the hand- so I can't comment on it specifically.

But if you call his all in - he is just as likely to have AA, a set, a flush, etc. as he is to have two rags. Luck is a huge part of his game - but I'm guessing early on in tournaments he takes down a lot of pots with people not having hands they are sure about calling an all in on.

I think he gets called on them a lot more at the final table since they are all in the money here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So people that go all in periodically with crap are 'dangerous'? Whats the difference from a dangerous person and a moron?

vulturesrow
08-16-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So people that go all in periodically with crap are 'dangerous'? Whats the difference from a dangerous person and a moron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I AM dangerous, Ice......Man.....

27offsuit
08-16-2004, 01:48 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dangerous people suck out more than morons.

GaylordFocker
08-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Howard made the right call on the hand.....Gus just outdrew him. KK vs. 97os with rag-rag-7 on the board? Howard was ahead. Gus got lucky on this one.

drewjustdrew
08-16-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I thought when I saw it. He didn't want "the lucky one" to dance around in the pot and catch his card. If he makes a smaller bet, Gus might push and get "lucky" and win a hand he should lose most times.

Beavis68
08-16-2004, 02:07 PM
I have never seen any reason to respect Gus - he seemed totally out classed.

Man though, they sure chopped that game up, how many hands did they show - like 6?

How did he suck-out on Chip Reese?

Cleveland Guy
08-16-2004, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very little. But which would you rather lose to with your TPTK?

Neither - so while he will bust out lots of times and have to suck out, I'm thinking he gets a lot of people to lay down good hands against him.

I'm not saying I like the play, or could ever do it myself, and I sure think every time Gus wins he's lucky BUT -

If you place as often as he does, has to be something to it more than just luck.

BeerMoney
08-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Erostratus = RPatterson

sonataarctica
08-16-2004, 02:29 PM
time will tell if we extract full entertainment value from him like rpatterson

BeerMoney
08-16-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
time will tell if we extract full entertainment value from him like rpatterson

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean we haven't already?

Rushmore
08-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Hey E.

It was easy to miss the sarcasm in the post because there are so many people on their knees these days, particularly around here, genuflecting at the altar of Gus.

I get a toothache listening to people fawn all over this guy like he's Justin Timberlake, Fabian, and Shawn Cassidy all wrapped up into one.

I was gonna throw Frampton in there as well, but have you seen him lately? He's lookin rougher than Leif freakin Garrett the day before his last rehab, man.

What was I saying?

Rushmore
08-16-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the hand, but that might be the best argument for doing exactly the opposite.

If Gus can hold any two, maybe pushing nut no pair isn't the greatest play in the world.

I do not, however, know how much got into the middle preflop. That might make the play reasonable.

But if not, how often does Brunson get called by a weaker hand here?

potato
08-16-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He could bet less, or check, then...

I think the problem is that Gus calling a small amount gives Doyle no information. Gus loves to call with no pair and no draw in order to take someone off of a hand later.

cferejohn
08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the hand, but that might be the best argument for doing exactly the opposite.

If Gus can hold any two, maybe pushing nut no pair isn't the greatest play in the world.

I do not, however, know how much got into the middle preflop. That might make the play reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, Gus had 9Ts, and folded to the all in (obviously).

NLfool
08-16-2004, 08:15 PM
um it wasn't just

rag rag 7 it was 3,3,7 gus had 9,7 against KK. So he was dead to a 7 and it came right off. Mind you earlier he had AJ to Chip's AK on a Axx flop and they got all the money in on the flop course he was dead to a J and hit it on the river. Now I heard a rumor he went bust a few months ago and didn't believe but now I do.

Brain
08-16-2004, 08:39 PM
from my spotty memory:
Chip had AK and Gus had AJ
I think an ace flopped and then Gus hit his jack on the river.

jdl22
08-16-2004, 09:31 PM
good call

Willy
08-17-2004, 12:00 PM
When your kidding add a /images/graemlins/grin.gif so the rest us wiil know your kidding, not stupid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif