PDA

View Full Version : Turning stone 50-100...overcall same as a 3 bet ??

Nomar
08-16-2004, 12:28 AM
3 handed 50-100 @ turning stone

I open raise on button with AT
sb, a somewhat passive/ straight forward player calls
bb, a regular there, known for his aggressive nature, 3 bets
both of us call

flop AT2
sb checks, bb bets, I raise
sb calls 2 cold and bb calls, ( I was hoping he had AK and would overplay this vs me, based on the call I gave him a pair)

turn J
checked to me, I bet, sb calls bb raises
<I think tank it>.... pause and call
sb continues to call another 100...

river 3,
sb checks, bb bets, I call sb calls again...

all feedback welcome...
results and more thoughts to come....

ike
08-16-2004, 04:11 AM
I'm a little worried BB has AJ but what are you gonna do? I don't like a 3bet at all because it seems like it increases the size of the pots you lose alot more than it increases the size of the pots you win.

Garland
08-16-2004, 05:07 AM
Based on the action, it has all the smell that BB has KQ, but you have to call down in case he has something like J10.
On the turn you have to respect the straight on board and stop yourself from 3-betting.

I think your actions were fine throughout the hand.

Garland

Garland
08-16-2004, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little worried BB has AJ but what are you gonna do?

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB really had AJ, don't you think he would put in more action on the flop due to his aggressive nature?

Garland

Senor Choppy
08-16-2004, 05:17 AM
Since the game's so short, you don't have to give the bb credit for a huge hand here. A lot depends on what you think the sb has, if it's Ax, you want him in the hand, if it's QJ, KJ, etc. then you'd love for him to fold and 3-betting would be the best option.

I'd lean towards 3-betting b/c of how aggressive your opponent is and the fact that the table is so short-handed.

CrackerZack
08-16-2004, 09:25 PM
I agree with all this advice. He should/would play AK/AQ the same way. When the hell do they spread 50/100 in TS? They broke ass area can't support that game for more than 10 minutes unless the Skaneatles and Manlius old folks have really taken to poker.

Nomar
08-16-2004, 11:36 PM
This weekend there were some smaller tourney's (100-500 buy in's) at turning stone. I went there on wed and played vs a local heads up to start the game that went all day Thursday, mostly shorthanded (4-6 handed), then went briefly again on Sunday.

The aggressive opponent I had a pretty good read on him and he would not have played AJ or KQ this way, so my biggest fear was JJ, where I would get capped on the turn if I three bet.

My final decision to just call the turn raise was because I felt the SB was drawing dead, with Ax hand.

After calling down the hand, the BB had AKs, and the SB mucked when I showed my hand.

I think I got the most money that I could have, but the SB may have had a gutshot to beat me.