PDA

View Full Version : Weak fold?

Saborion
08-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB is very loose pre-flop. Any two suited, ANY connectors (45o), any ace and so on. Mostly passive, sort of easy to read. Often call all the way to the river and then folds.
BB is a bit loose, nothing major.
UTG is very loose pre-flop. Any two cards close together in rank, any ace, any two suited etc.
Button overvalues suited cards, bit loose pre-flop, but can release post-flop.

I hadn't been at the table very long, but had yet to run into any real opposition. I cannot recall exactly, but I believe that I had at most had one showdown, which I won.

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds.

River: (11.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between Button and UTG.</font>

On the flop I thought that I might have the best hand. Being new at this sh stuff, I figured I should raise and if I managed to get it HU, go for a free showdown.

SevenStuda
08-15-2004, 11:49 PM
I don't think you played the hand poorly at all. You jumped ship at the right time. Possibly you could have called on the flop instead of raising though.

-Dimitri

Saborion
08-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Hmm... calling would give gutshots the correct odds to call.
I would be totally lost as to where I stand if people call or raise behind me.

Surely raising must be better than calling if I'm to proceed with this hand?

joker122
08-16-2004, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Possibly you could have called on the flop instead of raising though.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would calling accomplish? The irony of you claiming that one of my posts was worthless is delicious.

Zele
08-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Like it. The turn is a clear fold given the caller in between, and betting out the turn would have been unwise against all but the most predictable LAGs.

If by "free showdown" you mean bet the turn and check through the river, then I agree.

chio
08-16-2004, 09:08 AM
just calling on the flop is terrible

Saborion
08-16-2004, 09:14 AM
UTG had T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif for flopped MP.
Button had J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flopped two pair.

Seriously. Are these tables always this good?

Zele
08-16-2004, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Surely raising must be better than calling if I'm to proceed with this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. In fact, folding would also be better than calling (but not as good as raising).

naphand
08-16-2004, 02:55 PM
There is no irony here (is "ironic" the most mis-used word in the dictionary?) but your point nonetheless is sound... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Damn...damn I think I'm turning pedantic again......must keep off the onions /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

fyodor
08-16-2004, 03:11 PM
nap I'm with you on the irony thing. The missuse of that word drives me up the wall. There was some lame song by some lame chick that really overdid it.

joker122
08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no irony here (is "ironic" the most mis-used word in the dictionary?) but your point nonetheless is sound...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there is. Studa claimed that one of my posts was worthless and the proceeded to make an entirely worthless post himself. The irony is in the fact that you would not expect someone who just bashed someone for making a "worthless" post to commit the same error. The line between irony and hypocrisy is blurry here, I admit, but it's still irony.

[ QUOTE ]
There was some lame song by some lame chick that really overdid it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Alanis Morissette, and yeah, almost every situation in the song is just a case of coincidence.

naphand
08-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Something is ironic if it has the opposite effect to that which is intended, or according to the Oxford English Dictionary "incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs" such as:

"the new safety device which caused more accidents"

or

"the telephone call to clear up matters simply confused everyone"

or

"a champion swimmer that drowned"

Accusing someone of a making a pointless post, then making one is not irony at all. It is hypocrisy, as you correctly say.

Many people inappropriately use "irony" to describe situations that are not ironic, such as "I read a book on poker, but then lost all my money". This is not ironic, what would be ironic is writing a book on poker and losing all your money. I still struggle with this word, but maybe I shouldn't spend so much time discussing it's implications, this is a poker forum, after all....... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

joker122
08-16-2004, 03:50 PM
It doesn't need to have an "effect" in order to be irony.

i·ro·ny
Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs.

Hypocrisy is just a form of irony.

naphand
08-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Hypocrisy is not a form of irony. Where is the incongruity between what is expected and what occurs? Just because he accused you of making a pointless post does not mean he is capable of good ones, nor does his criticism imply otherwise.

PS
I edited my post to read better (above).