PDA

View Full Version : Poker Superstars Invitational -- worst show ever?

TimTimSalabim
08-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Is it just me, or did this seem kind of contrived and boring? I don't like this idea of hand-picking a table to begin with. I think a good poker show needs a few amateurs who "don't belong" in order to make it interesting. At the very least, if you're going to hand-pick a table of pros, put in some with some personality like Hellmuth or Negreanu. 12 weeks with these same players? Yikes!

CheckRaise
08-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Although i dont agree with the worst show ever, I think it was FSN's worst job sofar, besides Late Night Poker,

jasonHoldEm
08-16-2004, 02:27 AM
I enjoyed it, but I agree it could get stale if all we ever see is AK vs. QQ all-in preflop. While I realize these guys play together quite a bit I think they are still feeling one another out (if that makes any sense) and as the tournament continues we'll see some more exciting play....and if not we just skip the "season" and wait for the super bowl show. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

J

RPatterson
08-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Do they play over again every week for 12 weeks? I don't get it. This one didn't end right? Are they going to play that table like 3 times and spread it over 12 shows?

FeliciaLee
08-16-2004, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although i dont agree with the worst show ever, I think it was FSN's worst job sofar, besides Late Night Poker,

[/ QUOTE ]
Weird, I think LNP was probably the best poker show made. My Brit friend kept telling me how good it was, so I had them all taped and sent to me. I think it's fantastic, but then again, I always did like the "poker-only" shows, without all of the hype about magazines, books, exotic destinations, interviews with stars, etc. Before getting those old LNP tapes, my favorite poker was the old WSOP episodes...pure poker, without all of that extra crap.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bluff Daddy
08-16-2004, 01:03 PM
How did they pick the players? They definately need some more personality. I personally would have liked to see Negreanu

Kevmath
08-16-2004, 01:54 PM
In the commercials leading up to it, they announced that there would be "no amateurs" and "no jokers", which probably explains the lack of personality. It may not be the worst show ever, but it's one of the worst of the lipstick camera era (at least until the syndicated poker shows pop up). There was too much Konik and not enough Gregorich on this first show. Also, it's not really a FSN production, but the HOSR/Eskandari people who've set up the show, which has given us the 1 hand between breaks, annoying background music, up close and personal with the Brunsons!, etc. It's shocking how a lineup this good can make a TV show this bad (so far).

Kevin...

drewjustdrew
08-16-2004, 01:55 PM
What I don't like about the show is that I hear a lot of banter between the players, but I can't hear what they are saying because the play-by-play guys drown out the conversations. Usually, there is no conversation on these shows, so you aren't missing anything, but in this case they are actually trying to talk a little bit.

Beavis68
08-16-2004, 02:10 PM
The play-by-play guys suck, and there was too little poker. It should have been two hours.

benfranklin
08-16-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and there was too little poker. It should have been two hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily, I taped it, and fast-forwarded through the commercials when I watched it. I think that the ad for the Johnson Family Vacation got more air time than the poker. I saw more big butts in the hot tub than big bets in the pot.

The fact that so much was edited out was much more obvious here than in a WPT show.

Ulysses
08-16-2004, 02:42 PM
My favorite part of the show was when they had an all-in hand w/ A7 v. AK v. AK and they showed A7 as something like 27% to win and the AKs at single-digit win percentage. Then they had to explain that the AKs were actually favored over the A7, but their computer did not include the times the AKs beat the A7 but tied with each other.

deacsoft
08-16-2004, 03:36 PM
FSN just aired it. They don't produce it. (it=Late Night Poker)

Dominic
08-16-2004, 03:53 PM
actually, those percentages are only WIN percentages, and they were correct. AK vs.AK has a very low win percentage because the only time one of them will win is with a flush, obviously.

Therefore, the A7 had a higher win percentage than the two AKs because all that hand has to do to win is hit a 7 without running into an A or K.

Dominic
08-16-2004, 03:54 PM
okay, let me understand this....the show sucked AND it was too short??

How is that possible? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nottom
08-16-2004, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well part of the reason it sucked was becasue it was too short.

In other words, becasue they wanted to cram it into an hour they cut out all the hands that may have actually been interesting and replaced tham with AK vs QQ all-in preflop or someone sucking out on someone else.

TimTimSalabim
08-16-2004, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How is that possible? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same way that a SuperBowl highlight show is not as interesting as the SuperBowl.

08-17-2004, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How did they pick the players? They definately need some more personality. I personally would have liked to see Negreanu

[/ QUOTE ]

I wished Daniel was playing in this also. I think he's the best player out there right now.

Chad T
08-17-2004, 12:38 PM
This is a really good idea with bad execution. I saw more commercials than hands played.

That is what I think that ESPN tourney really has potential if they put the right players in it. I would love to see Hellmuth on the same table as Dutch and Fischman and Negraneau.....halarious combination. Hellmuth getting sucked out by Fischman and he taunts Hellmuth...awesome TV right there.