PDA

View Full Version : Dinner and Movies Thursday August 19

andyfox
08-15-2004, 10:52 PM
For all who are interested, this Thursday, we're going to have a 2+2 get-together. Dinner is at 5:30 at Lucy's El Adobe Cafe. It's at 5536 Melrose Ave, near Paramount Studio. The cross-street is Beachwood Drive. Phone number there is (323) 462-9421.

Gabe has kindly offered his house, nearby to Lucy's, to park some cars, in order to cut down on the length of our caravan (and for those who may not be in condition to drive after margaritaville). Please PM Gabe so we can see how many of us there will be for the restaurant so we can make an appropriate reservation.

Then, at 7:30, we're off to see California Split and The Cincinnati Kid at the New Beverly Cinema, 7165 W. Beverly Blvd. (one block west of La Brea). The almost legendary ASQ (Art Sathmary) may well be attending with us; Art might even be in California Split, so it will be some fun trying to pick him out in the poker scenes.

Then, there's talk of poker following the movies. It will be too late for me, but for those who are interested, that should be fun too.

All are welcome.

Rick Nebiolo
08-16-2004, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The almost legendary ASQ (Art Sathmary) may well be attending with us; Art might even be in California Split, so it will be some fun trying to pick him out in the poker scenes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope Art makes it. The movie came out in 1974. If Art is in it he was younger then than I am now. That would be weird for me to see /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

PS Saw Gabe tonight at HWP. He sweated me out of about six big bets.

Sooga
08-16-2004, 02:35 AM
Damn you Andy...

It just so happens that I'll be in Portland, OR visitin the folks from the 17th - 23rd. How very convenient of you to schedule this shindig on the 19th. Veeeeeeery convenient indeed.

JTG51
08-16-2004, 02:41 AM
I plan to be there.

Is there a planned time to meet at Gabe's house?

JimRivett
08-16-2004, 02:57 AM
Hello Andy,

I spoke to Art last week and mentioned the movie night to him. Apparently Robert Altman used a lot of the Gardena poker players as extras in California Split, and they were paid $30 per day for their services. It seems that one player in particular was a member of SAG (Screen Actors Guild) and was given a speaking part which paid $100 per day. Well Art said that when he saw the movie sure enough there was the player who was in SAG and sure enough he had a speaking part, when the action got to him he said, "Pass"

You know it's always interesting talking to Art, he always seems to have a story or an experience to relate.

Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday.

Jim

jerome baker
08-16-2004, 06:43 AM
hey,

am i allow to come? my feelings wont be hurt if i'm not allowed. thx

Rick Nebiolo
08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
am i allow to come? my feelings wont be hurt if i'm not allowed. thx

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You need to have at least 155 posts. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

andyfox
08-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Speaking of sweating: I was sweating another 2+2er on Saturday and he got involved against the current title holder for worst 40-80 player on the planet. The fish then proceeded to flop two straights in a row when he called the 2+2er's raise with Q-T and then 7-6. Even worse, the 2+2er had A-Q when the fish had 7-6: the flop came 5-4-3. The turn came an Ace and, of course, the river came another Ace. Ouch.

He then turned to me and said, "So, you have to go now, don't you?" /images/graemlins/frown.gif

andyfox
08-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey, the movies are only playing on the 18th and 19th. Don't shoot the messenger. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

andyfox
08-16-2004, 02:34 PM
PM Gabe and ask him. Or maybe he'll respond here. I plan to be at the restaurant at 5:30, so as many as can fit in my car are welcome to come with me to the movie theater.

andyfox
08-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Of course. The more the merrier.

mike l.
08-16-2004, 03:55 PM
thanks for taking over on the planning! i will be at gabe's or the restaurant at the right time. i will bring my novice but very poker loving little brother tom with me. see you all there!

cheers, mike

El Dukie
08-17-2004, 12:51 AM
Looks like I won't be able to attend on Thursday, since I'll be busy with work. However, I am hosting a 2+2 home game ($50 buy-in PL Hold'em tournament format) the following week on the 26th in the South Bay. If you attend the movie/dinner night (and thus Andy, Mike, Rick, Gabe, or Jim can attest to the fact that you'd be pleasant company), consider yourself invited to the home game. I've got room for about 10 more. PM me if you're interested. /images/graemlins/smile.gif