PDA

View Full Version : SF Giants, Basrry Bonds and Jason Schmidt

Taxman
08-15-2004, 08:23 PM
If they could only get a player besides Barry Schmidt (and a freakin bullpen), they'd be perennial contenders. Any other Giant fans out there?

As for something for everyone else to discuss: If the Giants don't make the playoffs, does Bonds still get strong MVP consideration (or more appropriately, should he)? Also, how about Schmidt for the Cy Young? He actually had a better year last year (to this point) but he's looking pretty good to me right now.

Sooga
08-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Bonds should get the MVP, no question. Look at his stats compared to everyone else. It's obscene.

The difference between him and 2nd in OPS (Todd Helton) is the same difference between helton and #57 (Pedro Feliz). The difference between him and 2nd in OBP (Lance Berkman) is the same difference between berkman and #74 (Marquis Grissom). Oh and even with a paltry 266 SB's, he's still got 31 homers. He's just in another stratosphere. He completely changes the game. You take a Rolen or Edmonds or Pujols out of the Cards lineup, and they're still a very good team. You take Bonds out of the Giants, and they're the Diamondbacks.

andyfox
08-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Well, Gagne won the Cy Young last year with a team that didn't make the playoffs. I would think Bonds and Schimidt are the favorites right now, even if they don't make the playoffs. Perhaps Pujols or Rolen, with the Cards having such a big year, might get the MVP; for Cy Young, nobody seems close to Schmidt (except maybe Gagne again?)--perhaps if Clemens wins his last seven or eight decisions he'd be close, but his team will miss the playoffs too.

SossMan
08-16-2004, 01:42 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I think if the season ended today, Barry would easily be MVP and J.Schmidt deserves the Cy Young.
Anything can happen between now and end of Sept, but i think these two have the inside track.
Just like the dodgers have the inside track to the World Series, baby!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-SossMan
**waiting for the inevitable late august dodgers 12 game losing streak**

offTopic
08-16-2004, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they could only get a player besides Barry Schmidt (and a freakin bullpen), they'd be perennial contenders. Any other Giant fans out there?

As for something for everyone else to discuss: If the Giants don't make the playoffs, does Bonds still get strong MVP consideration (or more appropriately, should he)? Also, how about Schmidt for the Cy Young? He actually had a better year last year (to this point) but he's looking pretty good to me right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice timing on this thread...

As a long-suffering Giants fan, who is also in the midst of a 75 BB downswing, I must chime in with some bitterness. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

They're already perennial contenders...unfortunately, contenders are ALL they are. They don't have enough horses to advance in the postseason, and it seems that, after the '02 WS, they've been experimenting with how flawed a team they can run out there and still remain competitive.

But, yes, Bonds and Schmidt should collect their respective awards, IMO.

No one will ever match Ruth's feat of hitting more home runs than some teams, but Bonds having more IBBs than some (all?) teams is quite telling.

Schmidt has been dominating in all but a couple of starts this year, and with 8 or 9 starts left, I think if he gets 4 more wins, he'll be the Giants first CYA winner since Mike McCormick.

Having the CYA winner and the MVP in the same season where they would be fortunate to make the wild card just adds to the frustration.

Oh, and I cold-called a raise in LP with pocket 9s, flopped top set on an all-spade board, raised the preflop raiser on the flop, raised him again when an offsuit Q turned, and called when the board 4-flushed on the end. He had QJo with the Js. Poker sucks...being a Giants fan sucks...but hey, at least my GF is waaaaay legal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kerssens
08-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Schmidt for Cy Young

I think Pujols will take the MVP, only because Bonds doesn't get pitched to. SportCenter shows him take walk after walk. I know that sounds ridiculous and I wish we could see what he could do if he didn't was 2-3 times per game. One thing going for him is Pujols and Rolen being on the same team, splitting some votes.