PDA

View Full Version : Help w/Overcards AJo

Tequila
08-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

I have several questions. Beer with me, as I haven't posted here much. Never with the BisonConverter which is very slick I should say.

1) If I was first in or only had one caller, I would have raised the AJo. I didn't here because of the two calls in front of me. Should I have raised here? How does the two prior calls affect my decision? Should I have reraised when it came back to me?

2) I tried to think through the discounted outs on the flop. I put the two overcards at 2.5 outs total plus the backdoor flush potential for a total of 4 outs. 12 to 1 from the pot seemed good enough to call. I'm not sure if I should have discounted the Ace even more since the Ad might make a flush draw for someone, but it also works toward my backdoor flush... Is my reasoning here okay?

3) I checked the turn as I felt I was on a draw... Maybe I should have bet to narrow the field. I dunno. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

4) On the river, I really wasn't sure I was beat. The better could have been trying to bluff me out due to the check on the turn. Was this a bad call? I have heard that calling on the river should be done "when the pot is big" and you are less than 90% sure you lost. Any rule of thumb on what makes a big pot? Maybe I should have folded on the river as it was only 8 BBs and the SB bet into me.

I lost BTW, SB had 76o.

Thank you for your help.

Sent
08-15-2004, 05:26 PM
I would raise, if 3-bet from I would call it. Raise the flop, you have good position to take a free card on the turn if they check to you. Fold the river unimproved, you can only beat a bluff. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

-Sent

imsomoney
08-16-2004, 10:18 AM
I would fold AJo preflop in this hand....with a raise and a call in front of you, your hand is likely dominated. I also would have folded on the flop - your overcards can count for about 3 outs, but your backdoor flush draw is iffy, because in a raised pot someone could easily be holding the K,Q, or A of diamonds. The rivercall is read dependent...is the SB the type to always bet out when people have shown weakness? Unless he was really gutsy, he probably isn't bluffing here...but it may be worth a call if you think you have a chance of winning some of these pots.

Sent
08-16-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't think it was raised before it got to him

-Sent

Nottom
08-16-2004, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beer with me

[/ QUOTE ]

You buying?

Tequila
08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
You like that /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I thought it was kind of fun...

Tequila