PDA

View Full Version : how to convert a bunch of home WPT tourney players into cash gamers

anduril
08-15-2004, 03:37 PM
for the last 3 months or so a bunch of people I know have had a "WPT season". we play a $5+$1 NLHE tournament on thursday nites. The $1 goes into a separate pot that builds up and is used for the pot of the final table which is comprised of the top 9 tourney players based on points accumulated thru the season. This was all nice and fun but everyone who plays is absolutely horrible except for 2-3 guys besides me (I won 6 of the 12 tourneys I played in not including winning the final table tourney). I know I can destroy these people for well over what I was buying in for $5 in a small 9-15 person tournament but I need a way to make everyone think that this is going to be more fun than another season of tournaments which most people are tired of anyway.

Can anyone think of a way to get people to play cash games now instead of tourneys? Usually before we used to play with a quarter ante and it was dealers choice so most of the games were variations of stud such as baseball, chicago or draw. I can't imagine playing for stakes smaller than this would be conducive for me. Some people had a problem shelling out $5 for a tournament, how can I get them to want to put $10 in to play other games?

Stew
08-15-2004, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for the last 3 months or so a bunch of people I know have had a "WPT season". we play a $5+$1 NLHE tournament on thursday nites. The $1 goes into a separate pot that builds up and is used for the pot of the final table which is comprised of the top 9 tourney players based on points accumulated thru the season. This was all nice and fun but everyone who plays is absolutely horrible except for 2-3 guys besides me (I won 6 of the 12 tourneys I played in not including winning the final table tourney). I know I can destroy these people for well over what I was buying in for $5 in a small 9-15 person tournament but I need a way to make everyone think that this is going to be more fun than another season of tournaments which most people are tired of anyway.

Can anyone think of a way to get people to play cash games now instead of tourneys? Usually before we used to play with a quarter ante and it was dealers choice so most of the games were variations of stud such as baseball, chicago or draw. I can't imagine playing for stakes smaller than this would be conducive for me. Some people had a problem shelling out $5 for a tournament, how can I get them to want to put $10 in to play other games?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, they probably won't find it fun other than hold 'em b/c that's what they see on TV. Second, people don't like cash games (fish) b/c that isn't what it is on TV and they can get busted quickly.

For a solution, why don't you just play a different tournament game every time and increase the buy-in to 10+2 or even 20+2.

anduril
08-15-2004, 03:57 PM
why don't you just play a different tournament game every time and increase the buy-in to 10+2 or even 20+2.

they wont put in $5 total to play a completely new game that they dont know, and most are scared to play for more than $5. Is there any way to convince them that this is a good idea to try out?

SlantNGo
08-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Re-buys! I am in the same dilemma, people don't want to play $10 entry tournaments, so I make rebuys for the first hour for when you're down to 25% of your chip stack. Even more aggressive would be to allow an add-on at the end of the first hour, no matter what your chip stack is.

LetsRock
08-18-2004, 12:17 AM
WE play cash games with a "tournament" feel. The buy-ins (usually $25 or $50) get you 1000 in chips. That translates to .025 or .5 per game dollar. Then we play NL holdem and allow people to rebuy when their stacks get below 200 game chips.

It makes for a lot of fun betting "$100" instead of 2.50. OUr games are very successful. Most players will rebuy 2 or 3 times throughout the night. A player can cash out at any time (have a calulator handy.)

It feels like a tourney, because of all the "big" action, but the stakes are fairly painless. A really big night can result in a 10+ buy-in win, so a big score is available.

AS long as you can get away from worrying about how much "money" this bet is really worth, you'll find that people have a good time.