PDA

View Full Version : 99 on a scary board vs a raiser

dfscott
08-15-2004, 01:15 PM
I had a hard time playing this because I worried about reverse implied odds of the straight. I felt like I needed to either play it harder or get out and I did neither. It all started with a weak pre-flop call, and by the time I made my hand, I wasn't sure if I could bet it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>,

Flop: (7 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between MP1 and Hero.</font>

Sidekick
08-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Preflop seems fine to me.

Flop play seems fine to me as well. With the 99 in your hand you are staring at an open ended straight, but it looks like a very marginal hand to me after the flop hits. There are just too many hands that people like to play that have your nines beat at this point.

I would fold on the turn. There are four overcards to your pair of nines. Anyone with a K has the nut straight. To me at this point it looks like the only reasonable outs to be confident of having the winning hand would be for a king to fall and then you would just be splitting the pot.

If I'm still around on the River all I would do is check and call. Yes, I made trips, but now either a K or an 8 beats my hand. MP1 raised preflop so he could have had a pocket pair bigger than mine so even if I have a set he could well be sitting on a bigger set.