PDA

View Full Version : livening up a dead table

DrewOnTilt
08-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Played at a game recently that just about put me into a coma. I sat through a run of garbage cards (so bad any club and any diamond looked good together because red and black match). Worse, all the players played in stone cold silence. There has been more noise and excitement made inside a black hole.

I prefer to play at tables where the players are lively and sociable. I've noticed that people tend to play a bit more loosely when the players are sociable to one another. Other than commenting on nice hands or asking "Where are you from, what do you do" and the same retarded questions that everyone seems to ask of strangers, how can I go about livening up such a dead table?

I only stayed at this game because it was full of calling stations. But GEEZ it was the most boring three hours of my poker life. Help?

RydenStoompala
08-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Been there, done that. 10-20 game early in the evening. I would not leave because of the rocks and calling stations, but after about 30 minutes of stone cold silence I asked the waitress (using my best Amorillo Slim accent) "Bring me a beer...a huge one...and turn up the TV. It's so quiet I heard an ant peeing on a piece of cotton." A couple of the stiffs knew the line and cracked a smile. It got better.

Mayhap
08-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Two Irish guys walked into a bar.
They both bruised their foreheads.
/M

thirddan
08-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Live Straddle...

Sundevils21
08-15-2004, 05:13 PM
"Live Straddle"

unless McManus is at the table.
On the other hand, that would get the table livin.

DrewOnTilt
08-15-2004, 09:03 PM
HA! I'll have to remember that one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
08-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Hey - do you really look like Chris Walken?

If so, come to my game anytime.

LGPG, Babe/images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
08-15-2004, 09:18 PM
I have the opposite problem of trying to deaden a live table /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Probably best to do as a few have suggested. Straddle, drink, and raise every hand . Then when you lose all your money, at least you can say you had a good time. The dead guys will be counting your chips. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LGPG,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

DrewOnTilt
08-16-2004, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Straddle, drink, and raise every hand . Then when you lose all your money, at least you can say you had a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not looking to LOSE here, I'm just looking to not fall over asleep at the table. I would rather be rich and bored than broke and entertained, though.

bisonbison
08-16-2004, 04:13 AM
Live Straddle...

Dan speaks the gospel truth.

Losing all
08-16-2004, 04:39 AM
straddle's are fun, and loose, but don't have near the effect that bluffing at the river and folding before your opponent has a chance to act does.

bisonbison
08-16-2004, 04:42 AM
How about if you bet, say "I missed", tip the dealer before your opponent acts, and then pick up your cards, one in each hand, and make them do a little walk around the felt in front of your seat while singing "we're off to see the river, the wonderful river of Oz"?

fennyin
08-16-2004, 12:01 PM
"I bluff- *cough* er, I mean, raise."

RydenStoompala
08-20-2004, 07:27 AM
Except for the eyes, hair and facial features, we're identical.