PDA

View Full Version : Comments appreciated on this hand

Beck
08-15-2004, 02:05 AM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (18.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26.50 BB

prayformojo
08-15-2004, 02:20 AM
What flop were you hoping for with all that pre-flop raising? Top set not good enough for you? Did you want to see if an A,K,Q,J or 3 would fall so your opponents might be able to catch up?

Raise the flop, bet/raise the turn, cap them both if given the chance. The pot is big, and winning money is good.

Beck
08-15-2004, 02:34 AM
With the pre-flop raising I was figuring that they were perhaps holding the same cards, looking to catch the same outs, thereby making the number of my negative outs less.

Capn486
08-15-2004, 03:25 AM
I'd get as many raises in as I could on the flop and turn.

DeathDonkey
08-15-2004, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With the pre-flop raising I was figuring that they were perhaps holding the same cards, looking to catch the same outs, thereby making the number of my negative outs less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot parse this sentence. So I will just say: CAP EVERY STREET!!

-DeathDonkey

Fiddler
08-15-2004, 04:05 AM
Why worry about outs? Do you really think you are behind? You can't be afraid to pour money into a pot when you have top set.

Beck
08-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Deathdonkey: Parse?? What does that mean?

No, didn't think I was behind. More like a case of slow-playing. Which I guess I shouldn't??

DeathDonkey
08-15-2004, 04:59 AM
Hey sorry, was just making a joke because I didn't understand that sentence. Look at the action from the hand history though: you call to close the betting on every street! Slowplaying is sometimes ok (not very frequently) when you have bad position and want to trap more opponents in the pot, but here they are already trapped in there with you and you are passing up all your opportunities to raise with your huge hand.

-DeathDonkey

SnakeRat
08-15-2004, 05:03 AM
You need to cap the the turn and river.
With that board you have the best hand atleast 90% of the time.

Grow the pot as big as possible.

Fiddler
08-15-2004, 05:28 AM
I wouldn't. Slow-playing is more for situations when you have a really strong hand and you fear you will drive other players out when you start to bet/raise.

Peter Harris
08-15-2004, 05:48 AM
you could have at least won another $10 in this pot by raising each street

Pete Harris

Beck
08-15-2004, 07:56 AM
I wasn't sure of the meaning of the word "parse" since English isn't my first language.

What I meant was, I figured there wasn't that many cards that would prevent me from winning (what I called negative outs),

Beck
08-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Another $10? How do you figure that? You don't think I would scare someone away?

Beck
08-15-2004, 07:59 AM
Well, turned out to be 70% at both flop and turn

Gatts
08-15-2004, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another $10? How do you figure that? You don't think I would scare someone away?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG is raising every chance he gets. He can and will get into a betting war with you, and you'll likely trap SB and others for another bet or two.

If he has Kings or nines and hit a miracle 2 outer redraw, so be it.

Beck
08-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Hmmmm..... Tuns out I wasn't greedy enough.
generally I find my post-flop play lacking, so instead of trying fancy moves, should I just bet out very aggressively, when ever I feel I have the best hand, not caring whether I scare somebody off, that can't beat me anyway, and perhaps some of those off, who actually can beat me?

Gatts
08-15-2004, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm..... Tuns out I wasn't greedy enough.
generally I find my post-flop play lacking, so instead of trying fancy moves, should I just bet out very aggressively, when ever I feel I have the best hand, not caring whether I scare somebody off, that can't beat me anyway, and perhaps some of those off, who actually can beat me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Especially at the microlimits, throw as much money into the pot as possible when you have the best hand.

Nottom
08-15-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, didn't think I was behind. More like a case of slow-playing. Which I guess I shouldn't??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to get into the merits of slowplaying in this spot since I'm sure everyone else has already told you its a big mistake. What I will say is that is not how you slowplay a hand.

I see plays like this on a regular basis and it never makes any sence to me. A player flops a big hand doesn't raise the flop (and or turn) then just bets therefore minimizing his winnings. The whole point of slowplaying is to trap your opponents, by the time you get to the turn you have done just that and have a perfect opportunity to get some extra bets with a call-reraise, but instead you call and bet the river which accomplishes nothing.

Beck
08-15-2004, 05:13 PM
OK, I think I see what you mean. Instead of continuing the raising, I'm letting my opponents see yet another card, to help them decide, whether they hould continue too?

Reviewing my hand with your comments in mind, it's clear now, how the hand was mis-played.

Nottom
08-15-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I think I see what you mean. Instead of continuing the raising, I'm letting my opponents see yet another card, to help them decide, whether they hould continue too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the general rules for slowplaying ...

1) You must have a very strong hand, one in which giving a free card will almost never cost you the pot and will instead only serve to improve an opponents hand to a good but second best hand.

2) You must have reason to believe if you play you hand strongly now, you will not get action and everyone may fold.

In this case, with a 3 straight on the board there are lots of cards you don't want to see (most notably a 2). In addition when a K hits on the river it scarss you enough that you don't 3-bet.

Additionally, when it is bet and raised already you know you are going to get action so it's time to uncloak and get some bets in. Theye have already told you they aren't going anywhere so make them pay to get where they want to go.