PDA

View Full Version : Question about hours played

WannaGoPro
08-15-2004, 12:11 AM
Let's say a player plays about 20 hours per week and has proven himself a winning player with a database of almost 250k hands. If he suddenly jumps up to 40-50 hours per week should his win rate remain the same?

daryn
08-15-2004, 12:36 AM
i'd say the hardest part is playing your A game all the time, consistently for 40 whatever hours a week. most can't cut it.

deacsoft
08-15-2004, 06:44 PM
I agree. I love poker and love playing it, but the fact remains that it can become boring if you're playing it the correct way (i.e. folding 80% of your hands preflop). It can be hard to keep that up at "A" game level for 40+ hours a week.

dr_venkman
08-16-2004, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he suddenly jumps up to 40-50 hours per week should his win rate remain the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you're a computer.

kslghost
08-16-2004, 07:51 PM
I will disagree with the others slightly. It truly depends on how you play and how much fun you have playing. The difference between twenty and forty-fifty hours is huge...

We're talking about 3 hours a day vs 6-7, if you play 7 days a week. As Pokercharts says, you will be going from playing 17% of you're waking hours (assuming 8 hours of sleep per day) to 44% of you're waking hours.

There will certainly be a "learning curve" to doing this. But once you develop yourself to be able to handle this, you're winning rate will certainly be the same. In addition, if you drop back to 20 hours or so, you will probably see you're winning rate increase. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, I've been told 4000 hours is yet to be enough for your winning rate to be completely accurate. So you will probably see it fall or rise in any case. (I'm assuming you're playing online). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Senor Choppy
08-19-2004, 08:34 AM
The number of hours I play doesn't really affect whether I play my A game or not, just how willing I am to play and whether I get burnt out too quickly.

I don't think 50 hours would cause someone's play to deteriorate that much, but it might make you hate the game and cause you to quit.

Warren Whitmore
08-19-2004, 09:15 AM
No Way!
If you are playing properly you are finding the weakest 20 hours worth of players you can find. If you add 20 more hours of play to that than you will be playing in tougher games. Your game selectivity must drop therfor your win rate per hour must drop.

hagelito
08-19-2004, 06:38 PM
I agree here, there is nothing that tells you have to play all hours in a row, why don't play 3-4 hours at the morning and then something similar at night? (or at least later) Then you also get to play different opponents.

Just my thought...