PDA

View Full Version : Two Outstanding Jazz CD's For Rockers

Bill Murphy
08-14-2004, 09:38 PM
The scene in Collateral kind of piqued my interest. I've always liked snippets I've heard over the years, but I'm 38 and of course the KennyG and fusion sh1t just killed jazz for my generation(sorry! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif), along w/the fact we grew up in rock's golden age.

However, long story short, I think ANYONE who likes music would like these two CD's, "Kind Of Blue" by Miles Davis and "Krupa and Rich" w/also features Dizzy Gillespie & Oscar Peterson. Picked 'em up yesterday.

The Davis one is great to chill to(I'm aware that its generally considered to be the greatest jazz album ever), and esp. on Gene's Blues from the Krupa disc, you can sure hear who influenced John Bonham & Danny Carey of Tool(Carey has always propped Krupa and Rich). Coupla Krupa rolls went straight into Moby Dick & Lateralus. Thing kicks ass all the way thru.

Obv'ly there's thirty squirty zillion jazz records, with an extremely high crap:cool ratio, esp as you get past 1964 or so. But them ol' cats could play, man, and they played A LOT, plus they was mostly hardcore partiers, too; way ahead of those pansy Beatles smoking hash w/that Maharashi con man./images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Most of the albums got recorded in a day. Neat thing is all the good ones have been remastered, usually with extensive liner notes. Plus, the rap producers over the years(and techno, Motown, rock, & movie soundtrack producers) have lifted yea & plenty horn, string, & keyboard motifs from old jazz records; think I found where the harp on Big's "Things Done Changed" came from, f'rinstance. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Never know what ya might rediscover on a smoky ol' jazz disc.

I know that jazz can be a real sickness(I know three guys w/over 1K albums /images/graemlins/ooo.gif), and the thrill is gone so to speak. I've no intention of delving much past the mid '60s or the big names; Davis, Coltrane, Armstrong, Ellington, etc. but I'd recommend KOB & K&R to anyone.

Bill Murphy
08-14-2004, 09:39 PM
I apologize for not posting this in the News, Views, & Gossip Forum. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Diplomat
08-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Kind of Blue is a sick album. Whenever someone says to me that they don't own this album, I turn into Jack Black from High Fidelity and start freaking out. Kind of Blue is to Jazz what Bethoven's 5th is to Classical.

-Diplomat

Utah
08-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Kinda of Blue is unreal good.

Bill Murphy
08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Agreed, and the Krupa/Rich is about on the same level. Fantastic performances by Gillespie & Robertson, too. Two albums that are beyond genre classification.