PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals

Sundevils21
08-14-2004, 08:02 PM
My beloved Arizona Cardinals are about to kick off!!!! anybody else excited about this? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sooga
08-14-2004, 08:46 PM
I think the Cardinals may be the best team in the league right, and they have a real good chance to go all the way... oh woops, wrong sport.

Wahoo91
08-14-2004, 09:30 PM
I thought they moved to LA?

Toro
08-14-2004, 09:42 PM
God love you! You are a true football fan. To be able to get excited about that team . . . well you remind me of me through all the bad patriot seasons. Hang in there, find yourself a Belicheck and a Brady and it will be fun, i assure you.

jwvdcw
08-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Sorry man. Not a good start. The loss of Boldin is huge for them. He was their one established superstar. Moreover, the fact that Shipp has played so poorly as to be benched can't be a good sign. I like their o-line and young WR corps, but it'll be at least 2 years before they contend imo.

Sundevils21
08-15-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Moreover, the fact that Shipp has played so poorly as to be benched can't be a good sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Dennis Green did come out and say that Emmit Smith would be the featured back. But 2 weeks later, Shipp tore something and will be out for a couple of months maybe the season.

[ QUOTE ]
God love you! You are a true football fan. To be able to get excited about that team . . . well you remind me of me through all the bad patriot seasons. Hang in there, find yourself a Belicheck and a Brady and it will be fun, i assure you.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the compliment. Only time will tell.
btw, who is the Pats owner? is he good? cause Bill Bidwell is capital H Horrible. They have some dumb team rules like,"we don't negotiate contracts during the season".-only team in the league probably. Nice to see all of our good players leave after having some success. Simeon Rice, Jake Plummer, Michael Pittman, Cory Chavous...
In any case, it's football season so life is gooot.

andyfox
08-15-2004, 02:31 AM
Yes, I'll be very excited to see that juggernaut they've been reigning in the last twenty years or so.

Toro
08-15-2004, 10:58 AM
The owner of the Patriots is Robert Kraft and he is superb. He was a fan first, being a charter season ticket holder from the inception of the AFL so he has great perspective from the fans point of view.

Then when the team was a total laughing stock with very few season ticket holders and it was looking very likely that the franchise was going to be moved to St. Louis, he bought the team. He was a little too meddlesome at first and had some friction with Parcells but has admitted that he has learned from this experience and gives Belicheck total control.

And the icing on the cake is that he built a fabulous stadium(replacing the old one which was the worst in the NFL(there are high school teams in Texas with better)). And unlike other places he used all his own money to build it.

And the Pats have this philosphy that they want to compete every year, not just put all the eggs in one basket to go for it in one particluar year. This means tough descisions like cutting starting safety and team captain Lawyer Milloy 4 days before the first game last year because he wouldn't agree to a re-structuring of his contract.

After decades of suffering, we Pats fans are now in heaven. Now if only the Red Sox could figure it out.

benfranklin
08-15-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now if only the Red Sox could figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll be about the time the Cardinals make the Super Bowl. As a Cub fan in my youth, I feel your pain (and love to hate the Yankees).

I am also a former Vikings fan who gave up on them when they built a dome and started playing arena football. I think that the only thing dumber than football indoors is football in Arizona. It is not natural to play football on any field where cold is not a given, and where snow is not a possibility. Any team that plays football in a god-forsaken desert is never going to amount to anything.

While I'm ranting, I don't think that teams should be allowed to move. A city and the fans have a significant investment in a team, they make the team successful. Any owner who can't make a profit with an NFL franchise is an incompetent, bumbling fool. Any owner who has moves a team should be scourged through the streets of the city, and then thrown naked into a sports bar full of former fans. I automatically root against any team that has changed cities. The only time I could ever root for the Cardinals is if they were playing the Colts.

I live in Minnesota, but I am not a Vikings fan, and have nothing against the Cardinals for stumbling and staggering into their fluke victory last year. Actually, I find a little perverse pleasure in the Vikings' innate ability to self-destruct, even against overwhelming odds in their favor. The Cardinals just put the Vikings out of their misery, avoiding the embarassment of getting killed in a play-off game.