PDA

View Full Version : SNG - Fell apart 4 handed

akira
08-14-2004, 06:37 PM
I was playing Star 10+1 SnG, and doing really well.. Had 9k chips while 3 other player had around 2k.. Everyone was playing pretty weak tight, folding to pf raises, open limping etc.. I felt I was being a bit on the aggressive side but it seemed to be working - I did not show down many hands. Everything was fine until this series of hands, at which point things started getting progressively worst:

Hand 1:
Ok, this was slightly too aggressive play on my part, however I felt UTG was also aggressive and trying to steal the pot. Would everyone fold here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

BB (t1295)
UTG (t1585)
Hero (t8915)
SB (t1705)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t200, Hero calls t200, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t800) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t350</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1100</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t1505</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t1035 (All-In), Hero calls t405.

Turn: (t5195) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t5195) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Hand 2:
Ok, I felt a little lost on this one. Button was a pretty aggressive player, not sure what to do w/ middle pair:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (2 handed)

Button (t6550)
Hero (t6950)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t1600) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t2000</font>, Hero calls t1200.

Turn: (t5600) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t3750 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Hand 3:
What to do here w/ bottom pair?

Button (t6550)
Hero (t6950)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t1600) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t2000</font>, Hero calls t1200.

Turn: (t5600) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t3750 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Hand 4:
Probably badly played. Here is my rationale: Didn't raise pf b/c he folded to my last few pf raises.. On the flop, I feld he would be out b/c he was a pretty aggressive player. How should I have played this?

Button (t9550)
Hero (t3950)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Button calls t100, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t400) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, Button calls t400.

River: (t1200) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t2000</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises to t5800</font>, Hero calls t1350 (All-In).

akira
08-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Just realized I posted the same hand for 2 and 3. Here is the one I meant to post. Also I realize most of these hands were badly played, I think I was on tilt from losing hand 1. However, I'm interested in learning more about shorthanded play in SnGs, especially against aggressive players that play back at you. I read the shorthanded section from HFAP, and was wondering how to apply it to NL. For example, it mentions to turn the highest card into a deuce, which is what I tried to do in hand #2.

Here is the hand I meant to post for 3:

Hand 3:

Should I have called pf? Bet w/ bottom pair after flop?

Button (t9150)
Hero (t4350)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t400.

Flop: (t1200) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets t900</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2100

Thanks for any advice!

poboys
08-16-2004, 12:41 PM
I do not consider myself to be an 'expert' in SnG Play. I've only played about 500 or so, and have reasonable ROIs and ITMs.

You have a commanding lead and the blinds are getting to the point where all three stacks are putting a substantial % of their stack in the BB and SB.

Hand 1: You either want to raise this hand to isolate/bully UTG or call and hope for a monster flop. (I'd lean toward the former). You don't have TP, the JT has 4-straight implications, and all three players are going to get great pot odds on their money (T800 in the pot, plus a T350 bet from UTG). Personally, I'd fold here. Your raise is not going to isolate people at this point, it actually creates a great incentive for drawing hands to stay in and get phenominal pot odds.

Hand #2: You call a 3x raise with K8o, in my mind a marginal decision. Your post-flop bet is very weak, and I'd pounce on it as well. K8o, I'd fold to a raise. If you like your pair of 8's, then I'd bet the pot. Now he doesn't know if you have a Q or an 8.

Hand #4: If he's aggressive then I'd raise into him pre-flop. The flop's somewhat scary, and I wouldn't give away free cards. Lead out firing.