PDA

View Full Version : new player

SpecialK3387
08-14-2004, 02:11 PM
i am have just started playing online, the first night i played i doubled my bankroll. Then it went back down. I am playing just like the low limit books say. Does it get easier with time?

JDErickson
08-14-2004, 02:17 PM
No, it progressively gets harder as you go up in levels.

Keep playing smart. Read here for good info and post questionable hands, you will get good advice.

prayformojo
08-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am relatively new here myself, so I'll give you a newbie's advice.

1) Read these forums.
2) Post hands for others to critique and pay close attention to the advice.
3) Buy, read, and re-read Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'em. If you are playing as any other low limit book advises, you're probably playing weak/tight.

To answer your question, it doesn't get easier. Everything I learn about this game opens my eyes to how complex and textured it can be. On the other hand, it does get more profitable. If you like money the way I like money, profit is even better than ease.

BTW, if you could double your bankroll in one night, I suspect your bankoll may not be large enough. At what limit are you playing, and what is your bankroll? These might be initial problems that can be fixed right away.

SpecialK3387
08-14-2004, 02:46 PM
.5-1 $50

prayformojo
08-14-2004, 03:25 PM
As I suspected, way too light. If you are going to play a strong, aggressive game, you should have a bankroll of 300 big bets. Your current roll could easily be wiped out in a single session. You may want to top up your bankroll or drop down, way down, to a lower limit.

burntazure
08-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi. You might need more loot. But if you are willing to replenish this initial investment then you'll be okay. It's just that sometimes at this level there is some variance with yr performance. Sometimes a downswing of 50BBs (BB=big bet & this is $1 at .5/1) can happen. Maybe you will get lucky and be able to overcome this bankroll issue. Do not be upset if you bust out with 50 BBs since people recommend having 300 BBs (i.e. $300) to weather the variance.

So you have two options:

1. Move down in limits to .05/.1 and build up the bankroll to support other levels (this microlimit is offered on some sites).

2. Stay at .5/1, but remember that you may need additional $50 reinvestments to stabilize some of the downswings, which even good experienced players can only minimize, not avoid.

I would choose #2 if you have the funds....

Good luck.

Wahoo91
08-14-2004, 04:32 PM
If you are new to poker then I can only recommend dropping limits. The games really are not that much different between .05/.10 and .50/1.00 (both are very loose).

You can learn a lot of lessons for .10 bets instead of 1.00.

Once you have proven you can beat the .10 game (and increase your bankroll) then move to .10/.20 and repeat. .50/1.00 is WAY to expensive for a new player with $50. You will be b'rupt in no time flat, even if you play great poker.

Good luck.

Nottom
08-14-2004, 04:42 PM
If you don't mind adding money if you lose, then don't worry about all this bankroll stuff for micros.

prayformojo
08-14-2004, 05:08 PM
True, true. I actually started with only $75 in bonuses from PP, and built my way up to a proper roll because I was a) very lucky and b) weak. I think it's good for new players to recognize the significance of a bankroll though, especially to see that losing 50BB isn't a defeat if you were playing good poker and got sucked out.