PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge to No limit

PokerFoo
08-14-2004, 01:04 PM
I have been attempting to move up to no limit games from fixed limit and found it to be a daunting task.

My question to the experts is, how do you compensate for the lack of good pot odds in your decision process on drawing hands? I frequently seem to be looking at 2 to 1 pot odds or an all in call in a drawing situation.

Do you simply (maybe a bad word there) put a player on a group of hands and use the win % of your hand against what you think the other player has? Or should I just avoid drawing situations and play only monsters and open ended straights with flush possabilities?

Thanks

1800GAMBLER
08-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Implied odds. $10 on the flop, players bets $10 into your draw. You now have two streets to get $20 in if you hit your draw on the turn.

Say the pot is $30 and the player now bets $30 on the turn into your draw, you only have the river to get $60 in. So you will sometimes have to fold draws but only the turn.

You will be folding more draws in NL than you will in limit hence the value of these hands is lowered.

PokerFoo
08-14-2004, 03:03 PM
So I will use EV to compensate, I see. I also see that drawing propsitions in NL, unless playing against weak passive players can be VERY expencive even at micro limits then.

What I seem to be running into more often than not, is a pot sized raise on the flop giving me even money, (if there are no other callers) and then a bet for all my chips on the turn or another pot sized raise. I need to find more passive players it seems.

Thanks for the advice

Demana
08-14-2004, 10:53 PM
Just remember, they are putting you on a draw and are trying to make it as expensive as possible for you to stay in. You'd do the same if you were in their shoes, right?