PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Play of Aces ever??

patrick dicaprio
08-14-2004, 11:12 AM
I was the unfortunate person who played these Aces. Geez what was i thinking can anyone tell me:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed)

BB (t4315)
UTG (t1475)
MP (t1113)
CO (t2520)
Hero (t1107)
SB (t2970)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, Keyzer[A.D.] folds, CO folds, Hero calls t50, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t200</font>, BB folds, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t450) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, SB calls t100.

Turn: (t650) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t850</font>, Hero calls t557 (All-In).

River: (t2307) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2307

Pat

ilya
08-14-2004, 11:44 AM
I'll give it a shot....

Preflop: I'm gonna trap this fool good.

Flop: I hope he thinks I'm on a draw and raises me.

Turn: [censored], I better go after this pot before it's too late!.....Ugh....It is too late.....oh well, I can't fold Aces.

River: I am never flat-calling with Aces again.

BrettK
08-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Limping gives the SB pretty good odds on a call and the BB infinite odds on a check, so raise preflop to 2.5xBB, 3xBB, or whichever other amount you use to steal.

After his raise, reraise. An appropriate amount is going to be more than 40% of your stack, so pushing is reasonable.

The flop is semi-scary, but either way I'd push here, because the pot is half of your stack.

Brett

hyde
08-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Worst play ever? Nah, I've beat you to it. More than once.......

I LOVE TO SLOW PLAY.....
I JUST HATE THE RESULTS!!!!!!!

hyde

tallstack
08-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Sitting on the button with aces ... sweet! Someone will try and steal in front of me. Well that didn't work. Folded to me ... I want to double up here, or at least get some worth out of these. Limp or min-raise? Go for the limp and pounce on the flop. Sweet! A raise and HU ... I better just call and when he leads the flop I will pounce then. HE CHECKS THE FLOP!?

Pre-flop you had a plan and it worked pretty well. HU with position against the raiser - the results are pretty good. I can't say that I would have played it much differently other than choosing the min-raise here. IMO, you are still pricing the big stack blinds in if they have any kind of hand. Your way may have worked even better here, though. If you had have taken down t75 in blinds with an initial raise you would not have been that happy, either.

IMO, When he checks to you on the flop, your plan has is done. I am guessing that soft playing this flop is your least favorite part of the hand. Take the pot down and shrug it off, saying "HE SHOULD HAVE BET THAT FLOP!!". If he had outdrawn you on the flop already, well you got it HU with the best hand, it was worth the risk for some big chips.

Once the pot came to the turn, you again under bet the pot ... just asking to be raised in a way that could be a bluff. You have no idea where you are and when he raised you were pretty much committed. If you lay this down, you would have lingering doubt that you folded the winner.

In hindsight, maybe every left turn you took should have been a right on this hand ... that is just the way it goes sometimes.

Dave S

Jason Strasser
08-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Awful. Limp, then reraise. Don't limp call.

-Jason

AtlBrvs4Life
08-14-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't really understand why you limped with AA on the button. Can you explain? What I don't understand even more is why you flat called the SB raise. Other than that, I would probably bet more on the flop.

cferejohn
08-14-2004, 04:31 PM
As others have noted, the whole point of open limping AA preflop is to get it all in before the flop. When it is raised, re-raise.

I also wouldn't try this on the button. I'd raise to 150 and expect a call (or better yet, a re-raise) of my "obvious steal" quite a lot of the time. Will he fold complete crap? Probably. But crap isn't going to give you any action anyway unless it flops better than 1 pair, in which case, you are probably going to lose all your chips because evidently you can't lay down AA on a board with straight and flush possibilities on it, much less a raggy board that just happened to give 2 pair to 6To.

Moving on to the flop, there's a draw-licious board and you make a small bet. On the turn, a ton conceivable draws are completed and you bet and get pushed on. Not fun to fold AA, but unless the player is a nut-job you are hosed to a straight or flush here.